Recommend me some IEMs
Nov 8, 2009 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

infinitemonkey

Head-Fier
I realize that this is going to be a repeat of a thousand similar threads, and I am doing a lot of reading, but dammit, I want a custom response, just for me.
biggrin.gif

I'm in the market for some decent in-ear buds (canalphones) for casual listening (My tastes range from stuff like Rush, Floyd, and Tull, to Ramones and Clash, as well as some blues and jazz. I'm not much for classical). The source is a USB Fubar into a Cute Beyond with an OPA2627 superchip.

My taste in headphones runs somewhere between AKG and Grado. I normally listen with K240 Sextets. I've had DT880s in the past and like them too. I tend to find Grados a tad harsh.

My budget is about $300, give or take. I have a six year old, so I don't like to keep anything too valuable around that I might accidentally leave unattended.
biggrin.gif

My main reason for going to IEMs is to keep out the outside noise, and also to avoid bothering my wife in the same room.

Anyway, what IEM would you guys say is going to get me as close as possible to the Sextet experience?

How are the Shures? I'm in Canada, and not in a big city, so availability may be and issue for some brands.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 8
You will not like Shures if you're looking to listen to music. UE Triple.Fi and Westone 3's will do the job and leave it done. Apparently the IE7's are worth a try as I've read over the months.

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Himself /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will not like Shures if you're looking to listen to music. UE Triple.Fi and Westone 3's will do the job and leave it done. Apparently the IE7's are worth a try as I've read over the months.

:-/

bit of an odd statement. I love listening to music and especially on my Shure's...

Nov 9, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #5 of 8
I mean no offense, but it's really hard to spend 549 on earphones and be completely unhappy with them, but what did you think of the Westone 3's or Triples?

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Himself /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean no offense, but it's really hard to spend 549 on earphones and be completely unhappy with them, but what did you think of the Westone 3's or Triples?

549 what? dollars? I spent the equivelent of $385 on mine and I'm not completely unhappy with them, quite the opposite. They have drawbacks in the SQ department, well infact the only main drawback for me is the highs are less than sparkly to say the least but I have HF5's for that, every top end phone imo is a compromise on different sound signatures and when I listened to the top end phones side by side the Shure's were the ones I preferred most, I hated the W3's finding them extremely fatiguing to my ears and I didn't like the response curve of the TF10's

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 8
I've been reading about the IE7s, and they certainly seem to have a devoted following. The only thing that concerns me is that the only pair of Senns I ever owned (555s) sounded muddy as hell to me, and, let's face it, prejudices form easily.

If I hate the 555s, will I hate the IE7s? I'm looking for something for something with a mellowness, but still plenty of detail. I want bass, but only when it's supposed to be there, not all the time purely for the sake of bass. I also hate that slushy lack of detail in the low mids that often comes with cans that have strong bass.

I guess what I'm looking for are Sextetts I can cram in my ear canals. Short of surgery, are the IE7s the best way to get that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back