Recommend me some headphones up to around £700/$850
Jan 12, 2017 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

chn68b

New Head-Fier
I've been getting itchy feet and looking at a new set of headphones.

I last purchased a set of AKG K550s and already have a pair of Grado SR60s. The AKG's have been my primary set as I listen to most of my music in bed and the Grado's leak sooo much, which has  seen them sat in a drawer for the last couple of years.

Tonight, on the back of reading reviews and moving towards making a decision, I've done a side by side comparison between the two. I cannot believe the difference and just how much better the old Grado's are compared to the AKGs. The AKG's sound so harsh, especially the treble, the Grado's in comparison, sound so warm and smooth. Listening to them side by side, the Grado's are a pleasant experience, detailed but not clinical, but listening to the AKG's right next to them made me wince.

I'd add that I've been happy with the AKG's up until now, they served a purpose, but I never did a side by side comparison.

The question now is what headphones would you recommend? I don't necessarily need closed headphones, but they would be an advantage in a one pair for all, however, if there are an open set that will simply blow the SR60's away, then I'll happily set aside some proper listening time away from the bed.

The one set of closed cans that interest me are the Ultrasone Signature Pro's. Open sets are Grado RS1/2s, Hifiman HE-560 or a used pair of Sen HD800s.

I listen to mostly Rock but try and listen to anything when I get a couple of hours to myself. They'll be plugged into a Colorfly C4 Pro.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back