Recommend me some good Tube Amps
Apr 22, 2021 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

spacelion2077

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. I'm thinking about getting into tube amps. I haven't heard much tube amps but very much interested in getting a decent one. My current setup is RME Adi 2 dac feeds into Audio gd M19. My main headphone selections are HD800s, Final D8000, Meze Empyrean and Ab 1266 TC. The first headphones are very easy to drive, Ab 1266 TC is very picky and requires a lot power to do it justice. The main qualities I'm looking for Soundstage and detail retrieval. Hopefully I can get some insights on a good tube amp for my headphones. Preferably not the WA33 JPS edition since that tube amp costs over $13,000 lol.

Apr 22, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 12
I mean, some things will do better off of speaker taps, while others will be perfectly happy with something like a Little Dot. The real question is, what are you wanting to do? Cause I don't think tubes do sound stage or detail better than solid state.

Apr 22, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 12
Hey guys. I'm thinking about getting into tube amps. I haven't heard much tube amps but very much interested in getting a decent one. My current setup is RME Adi 2 dac feeds into Audio gd M19. My main headphone selections are HD800s, Final D8000, Meze Empyrean and Ab 1266 TC. The first headphones are very easy to drive, Ab 1266 TC is very picky and requires a lot power to do it justice. The main qualities I'm looking for Soundstage and detail retrieval. Hopefully I can get some insights on a good tube amp for my headphones. Preferably not the WA33 JPS edition since that tube amp costs over $13,000 lol.
Ray Samuels B52.
I have owned this headphone amp/preamp since 2006, and recently upgraded by Ray Samuels. Superb customer support. Meticulous attention to detail from a construction perspective. I have thoroughly enjoyed the output both from the headphone and preamp aspects.

Apr 22, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 12
Well here a few that cost less than the Wa33 EE:
Those are in no particular order. I tried to Name only amps up to ~8k$

Wells Dragon, has a Version for most Budgets.
Woo Wa 33 regular Edition, it's like Half the price of the Elite and still one of the best.
Cayin Ha300
Woo Wa 5 LE
Audion 300B Silver night edit: this one actually might be underpowered for the abyss
Ampandsound Bigger Ben
Primaluna Evo 300
Audiovalve Solaris
Auris Headonia 2A3
Auris Nirvana

If it should be slightly cheaper
Woo Wa 22
Cayin Ha-6a
Maybe the soon to be released McIntosh Ha200 edit: this one is probably also underpowered for the Abyss

Btw maybe throw @Bonddam a PM, he might possibly be selling his Wa33 EE, maybe it is your dream amp if it comes with a "used price tag"

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 12
Well here a few that cost less than the Wa33 EE:
Those are in no particular order. I tried to Name only amps up to ~8k$

Wells Dragon, has a Version for most Budgets.
Woo Wa 33 regular Edition, it's like Half the price of the Elite and still one of the best.
Cayin Ha300
Woo Wa 5 LE
Audion 300B Silver night edit: this one actually might be underpowered for the abyss
Ampandsound Bigger Ben
Primaluna Evo 300
Audiovalve Solaris
Auris Headonia 2A3
Auris Nirvana

If it should be slightly cheaper
Woo Wa 22
Cayin Ha-6a
Maybe the soon to be released McIntosh Ha200 edit: this one is probably also underpowered for the Abyss

Btw maybe throw @Bonddam a PM, he might possibly be selling his Wa33 EE, maybe it is your dream amp if it comes with a "used price tag"
Great list

Apr 26, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 12
I'd also not write off the Shiit mj2 with some good tubes either. With some late 60s or early siemens NOS... (it is hybrid . The tube sound in any tube amp is mainly coming from the driver tube not the power. So a hybrid isn't going to have power tubes.) I can also support full chain of XLR too.

Whatever you get, assume that is just the down payment, add $100s (if not $1000s) for tube rolling. (That said, there are some good modern tube makers like Golden Lion. But ALWAYS get your tubes from a place you trust and will test/match tubes. Return policy is nice too.)

but the above list from wise @ThanatosVI is great! (i'm clearly a fan of PL.. but do get the 300 over the 400 if you are only using it as a headphone amp.)

I'm still on the hunt for a headphone amp that is driven by 6NS7 tubes. Those are my fav sounding!
(DON'T YOU DARE SUGGEST SOMETHING THANATOSVI!) :D

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 12
Apr 27, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 12
( those woo wa22 use 6NS7... and fully balanced...)

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #11 of 12
What is missing here is your budget.

If you want to maximize your headphones, I would suggest to separate your planar from your dynamics. The Abyss require a different type of amplification and I recommend SS amp instead. Since your RME Dac is neutral, I recommend something complementary.

For the HD800(s) or high-z dynamics, you should consider OTL amps, especially Eddie Current Zana Deux S, if you can find it. Widest staging, great details, and endless bass extension.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #12 of 12
( those woo wa22 use 6NS7... and fully balanced...)
Just like the
Cayin Ha-300
Woo Wa 5 LE
If you want a 300B amp
Or
Ampandsound Bigger Ben
If you want to stay with the KT88/EL34 tubes

Or the Schiit Freya+ if you just want to add a preamp

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back