recommend me some good hip-hop
Sep 24, 2005 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

jonnywolfet

Headphoneus Supremus
hi all,
recently i have discovered decent sounding hip-hop that i actually like (this from someone who was firmly anti rap for a looooong time) by roots.
i am therefore interested in getting some albums to listen to when im in the mood.
i am looking for ambient chill-out type hip-hop, i have a few ninja-cuts albums, but none of them have many tracks with vocals. i want to keep it chilled, with no violence or aggressiveness (i want to play this for a certain kind of situation....) and just want cool beats and progressive bass. i love all things original, as long as its good and well produced.
let me know which albums/artists to look out for, and why, with a brief description of what flavour the music is.

thanks in advance
jon.

Sep 24, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 59
Search is your friend.
just search hiphop there has been like 10 of these types of threads all of which have had a crap load of GOOD hiphop, not that paul wall crap/

Sep 24, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet
hi all,
recently i have discovered decent sounding hip-hop that i actually like (this from someone who was firmly anti rap for a looooong time) by roots.
i am therefore interested in getting some albums to listen to when im in the mood.
i am looking for ambient chill-out type hip-hop, i have a few ninja-cuts albums, but none of them have many tracks with vocals. i want to keep it chilled, with no violence or aggressiveness (i want to play this for a certain kind of situation....) and just want cool beats and progressive bass. i love all things original, as long as its good and well produced.
let me know which albums/artists to look out for, and why, with a brief description of what flavour the music is.

thanks in advance
jon.

which Roots album did you get? Illadelph Halflife, imo, is the best. Gangstarr' Moment of Truth fits your description, too. Mos Def & Talib Kweli's Blackstar has greattt beats. And then A Tribe Called Quest is my favorite group... definately non-violent and laid back

Sep 25, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 59
For your specificaitons I'd recommend Black Star Line (Mos Def and Talib Kwali) or Deltron 3030 (Deltron). Black Star has great beats and some very apt rhymes. Deltron is pure brilliance in terms of production (one of Dan the Automater's best works IMHO) and I dig the ryhmes, though they can get a little abstract.

Any Tribe Called Quest albums would also fit the bill (though not quite as close). Tribe has some great songs, but I like a little darker overall tone in hip-hop.

Makes me wonder what your particular use is.
k1000smile.gif

If it's what I think it is then let me add Maxinquay (Tricky). Brilliant production, incredible atmosphere and a superb example of British hip-hop. If you like darkly moving beats this is an album for you. It has a few harsher edges than others mentioned, but I think you'll like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 59
Check out Atmosphere. The album Lucy Ford EP is quite good...

Sep 25, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #10 of 59
Something i posted in another forum:

"Talib Kweli & Hi tek - Reflection Eternal/Train of Thought - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=music&n=507846
Talib Kweli & Mos Def - Black Star - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=music&n=507846
Black On Both Sides - Mos def - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=music
Blazing Arrow - Blackalicious - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=music
NIA - Blackalicious - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

First off im a white teenager, with a music preference of rock and rap. I had 50 this, The Game that, Dre here, Eminem there. However out of all the rap i had listened to, the songs that really made me smile (and nod my head ) were the songs with a sweet beat, and some good lyrical skills (the flow, not the words). In fact, i started to not even really listen to the words, and when i did....."what in the world am i listening to?" F this, F that, female dogs here, female dogs there. Sure everybody listened to it at school, it was at parties, everyone liked it, but i just couldnt help but question the real motive for listening to it, i just couldnt really justify to defend it everytime my "father figure" would get frustrated listening to it.
So it started with Jurrasic 5. Great stuff, in fact that should be added to my list above, all 3 cd's are great http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...8402418-6153700 . And i was almost enlightened in a way. The way the beats rolled along with educated, sophisticated lyrics, just blew me away. This is what i had really wanted all this time. Well, a little amazon research, and i found talib, mos def, blackalicious, and i could'nt be happier. Read the reviews, and how those people experienced the same thing that i did.

"This is not an album about the bling, bling, violence, disrespecting women, etc., this is an album enlightening and uplifting the mind while grooving to some hypnotic beats that helps keep the head noddin' "
- Quoted on a review about Talib & Hi-tek in Reflection Eternal

So even though this may be a little off topic, and possibly belonging to the music forum, i could not help but post about works of great rap artists that are shadowed by the rich and fame of mainstream rap.

Also, please anybody that is a die hard 50, Dre, Game, Eminem fan be mad, i respect what they have done, i have many of their albums, i just want to share my musical reformation."

Hope that helps
eggosmile.gif

-Cheers!

Sep 25, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #11 of 59
The opposite happened to me. I liked all the "smart" hip-hop for years, and then it one day I woke up and found myself in a world where edgy, independent rappers -- artists with "integrity" -- were spending most of their time and effort paying constant homage to the past, giving us only a rehashing of the sounds of the canonical glory days of hip-hop, with the only new content being a flourish of IDM influence sprinkled here and there. So I turned to the stuff that I was used to turning my nose up at, the most crassly commercial stuff there was, and found out that the whole commercial hip-hop thug chic thing was no more repetitive or substanceless than the regressive, shallowly self-important fringe stuff, plus the music was doing things I'd never heard in music before, in hip-hop or anywhere else, and because of the sonic uniqueness it actually had the power to squeeze new feelings and reactions from me. Of course, there are exceptions in the form of great, amazing albums that come from the more self-consciously edgy contingent, like El-P's album from 2002 (which I consider to be the best album of the 2000's of any genre) and the Madvillain album, but exceptions are exceptions and the torch of sonic innovation has been in firmly in the possession of the mainstream, or more accurately the Southern mainstream, for the last three years or so.

And no, I'm not talking about Dre and his cronies, who are the #1 most common hip-hop punching bags on this board for whatever reason. With the exception of one or two slightly above average singles they haven't given me a reason to pay attention in years, as their sonic holding pattern is just as seemingly unbreakable as that of the past-glorifying crowd.

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 59
Check out:
www.TheRootsLive.com
its really good to find some great live work

also

OutKast:
Aquemi
Stankonia
ATLiens <~~~ very cool and laid back
Spearboxxx/The Love below

the new Common - BE album is tight

Digable Planets have a cool jazzy type sound

okayplayer.com has features on artists every now and then

if you like the roots also check out jay-z's unplugged album, it has the roots backing him up live

One drop is semi-religous and infectious organisms is reiligious christian stuff that doesnt get to preachy

those are the artists im checking out right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back