Recommend me some good anime & JPOP music
Feb 27, 2005 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

aznsensazian

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, im starting to get back into more anime, JPOP, and KPOP music now and was wondering what you guys would recommend? Im really digging the female vocals in anime music. I already have albums like utada hikaru. I listen to alot of chinese stuff too like andy lau and faye wong. I guess what started my obsession is the AIR OST. Vocals sounds awesome.

Feb 27, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 17
the music from Beck is good, but it's all just Beat Crusaders tunes. for general jpop, anything involving takeshi kobayashi rocks - My Little Lover, plus the 'soundtrack' albums from All About Lily Chou-Chou and Swallowtail Butterfly. Those are Kokyu (by 'Lily Chou-Chou') and Montage (by 'Yen Town Band') respectively. great stuff.

Feb 27, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 17
Neo Genesis Evangelion
Record Of Lodoss War
Princess Mononoke
Vampire Hunter D

I do not care for "anime," but I love Neo Genesis Evangelion.
As a despiser of anime, it is such a compliment that I like NGE.
The others are good, but not even close to my cup of tea.

I hope that my list helps you out!

BANGPOD

Feb 27, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 17
In terms of music, you have to try Rie Fu, whose "Life is Like a Boat" is the ED to the Bleach anime (which I haven't seen). Her self-titled debut album is available at www.yesasia.com. You can find some samples of her music at riefu.com.

Feb 27, 2005 at 9:11 AM Post #6 of 17
One of the theme songs is just incredible IMHO: the song that's in the background of the R2 DVD's menu and in the movie scene where the major is (in a boat?) and sees her clone or something.

Anyone know what it is called? Just amazing.

EDIT: I was talking about the Ghost in the Shell, forgot this minor detail.
wink.gif

It seems the theme song I mean is "Making of Cyborg / Kenji Kawai" and a sample can be found here

What would be similar music?

Feb 27, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 17
I'm personally a huge Yoko Kanno fan, so I'd certainly recommend her OSTs (Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell especially). On the female vocal front, you might want to look for her works with Maaya Sakamoto, which can be found on a number of her earlier soundtracks and each other's solo works.

Feb 27, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 17
I am not a huge fan of that many anime soundtracks, but as for jpop, I really like Shiina Ringo's "Karuki Zaamen Kuri no Hana." It is not quite as fast paced or "pop-y" as alot of jpop, but I would highly recommend it.

Also: There are some really good video game soundtracks also. Two really good ones are the Katamari Damacy soundtrack, and the Jet Set Radio soundtrack. The first Jet Set Radio has better music than the second, but they are both pretty good.

Feb 28, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #10 of 17
Thanks for input yall. I will definitely give these a try. I have the cowboy bebop OST. I like the jazzy type of music, but i think i still prefer female vocals.

Feb 28, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 17
Try music from Initial D for some fast paced JPOP.

Yes, there are about a dozen different OST's, but depending on how you gain ownership of your music, the ammount might not matter. If you actually purchase your music and can't afford to buy a bunch of OST's, try the Non-Stop Mega Mix, or one of the selections.

As a reccomendation for an anime OST (not neccesarily J-Pop, more rock-ish), try FLCL. Great anime, great soundtrack.

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #13 of 17
Mar 1, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 17
I would highly recommend the Cowboy Bebop Special Edition Box Set. Worth every penny. Also, any thing by Yoko Kanno is great. Check it out and see if you like it.

Mar 2, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Potatoe1313
Try music from Initial D for some fast paced JPOP.

I think I'd categorize the music from Initial D more as Eurobeat/Eurodance than J-Pop...

Anyway, almost all of the ones that I'd recommend have been listed (I'm an especially big fan of Yuki Kajiura's works). I also quite like Masuda Tashio's works (I loved Ai Yori Aoshi's soundtrack), and the Indigo has a style that I enjoyed as well.

I'm a bit surprised by the mention of Changin' My Life/myco... usually they/she doesn't get much recognition (to be fair, I would never have known if it wasn't for Full Moon wo Saga****e). I wouldn't really say that she's a great vocalist... but she is, to me at least, a very captivating one: I fell in love with "ETERNAL SNOW" the first time I heard it. Other than what xelloss listed, "Confidence" is another great song, and from the stuff she released under her own name, I like "lily" a lot.

~KS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back