Recommend me some excellent headphones for monitoring (acoustic instrumentals)
Apr 28, 2006 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

CamelBackCinema

500+ Head-Fier
I really want some headphones that will be closed and I do not want IEMs. I want comfortable large headphones that will be able to represent acoustics very well. I play acoustic guitar and instead of a monitor, I'd rather use headphones!

Also, I do want something nuetral but it is not a great concern. I am not really a recording artist. So if the headphones add a little life to the music, that is more preferable. Most of the time, I will be plugging the headphones into my amp (Ultrasound 50watt).

I listen to Phil Keaggy, Doyle Dykes, Tommy Emmanuel and similar artists.

Try to keep it under 1000 dollars (street price or used)

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 16
My friend is in a band, and has a home studio. He doesn't know much about cans (he hasn't discovered headfi yet), but he does have a AKG K 240 S. He said he loves them, very neutral. I went to try em out the other day. Nice cans, very neutral sounding like he mentioned, but not completely isolating, I guess they're semi open design? The 240 S seems to be recommended a lot for the best neutral sound.

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamelBackCinema
no but they can't be open. Its ok if sound leaks.

The cheaper the better btw. But I want to make sure my choices are not really restricted because of price.

All open headphones leak sound, and only open headphones leak sound. So if you don't mind leaking headphones, why would open headphones be a problem?

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80
My friend is in a band, and has a home studio. He doesn't know much about cans (he hasn't discovered headfi yet), but he does have a AKG K 271 S. He said he loves them, very neutral. I went to try em out the other day. Nice cans, very neutral sounding like he mentioned, but not completely isolating, I guess they're semi open design? The 271 S seems to be recommended a lot for the best neutral sound.

The 271s's are completely closed, sealed cans. I've also read a number of reviews saying that they have pretty good isolation for a closed can, so I'm pretty sure I don't have that mixed up.

Are you sure he didn't have the AKG 240's? Those are semi-open cans...

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 16
I see in your profile that you own a pair of CD3000s. Why not just stick with those? I mean, they are closed and seem to have an excellent sound quality. I think that if closed cans is what we are talking about, after the R10, the CD3000 is among the top offerings along with the AT woodies.

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
The 271s's are completely closed, sealed cans. I've also read a number of reviews saying that they have pretty good isolation for a closed can, so I'm pretty sure I don't have that mixed up.

Are you sure he didn't have the AKG 240's? Those are semi-open cans...

My bad, I stand corrected. I looked at pics of them on the web, they were indeed the K240S. Thanks for pointing that out Paul.

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamelBackCinema
Sorry I don't own the CD3Ks anymore. I don't have any headphones.

I don't want them to be open because I want to block sound out.

Gotcha. So you want isolating headphones.

I'm going to suggest AKG K271s. I haven't heard a better sealed headphone for acoustic music myself (I'm not familiar with the Ultrasone or ATH woody line). The noise-blocking is pretty good in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back