Recommend me some Electro?
Jun 11, 2006 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Really dont know much of the genre, do however know that i like the darker, harder stuff.
Although they are sometimes too pop-I really like Fischerspooner.
Recommendations?

Jun 11, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 56
Check out Moonbootica and Booka Shade, two that have been getting my attention recently. If you like Fischerspooner, you will deffinitly like IAMX and Ladytron. Also look at Magas (dark stuff, but really playful aswell... see http://www.magasnews.com/transgressors.html for a demo), Lennox, and Mula. If you want to step out of electro to move on to a bit harder styles, you can give Dave Clarke a try aswell, as it's a nice entry to the harder side of electro/techno.

Jun 11, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 56
Ladytron is a good suggestion...

Adult - Anxiety Always
Anthony Rother - Popkiller
The Knife - Silent Shout
Miss Kitten and the Hacker - 1st Album
Vitalic - Ok Cowboy

Most of the above is not Electro (like Fischerspooner) but highly influenced by it.

Now, that AUX link is Electro...

Jun 12, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 56
My 2 favorites are:

Spalding Rockwell - Kate
B0002LJTZ4.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

&

PzychoBitch - The Day After
B0000UI264.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I don't listen to much of this stuff, but these two albums are great.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 56
what electro stuff are people listening to recenlty?

just got the Yuksek album yesterday. Really want to love it but it's too glam for me.

I think they only have one song, RAR, but the group Romulus and Remus seems cool. Hopefully they have it in them to make more tracks or even an album.

seeing Danger next week, looking forward to it. Will he come out with an album though? the four track 9/14 release from a couple years ago is still awesome.

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got the Yuksek album yesterday. Really want to love it but it's too glam for me.

Did you just say glam? I better check that out! I love glam. The shinier the better, which is kind of amazing that I just checked out the new Ghostland Observatory, hair metal voc's over electro, which is pretty much the dopest thing I've ever heard.

^ hyperbole

--

One of my fave recent Electro Albums would be include Why Not by Alter Ego (lean toward Techno) and Boxer 05 by Delon & Dalcan (lean toward Tech-house).

I don't know if either would be to Mr. Bicoastal's liking unfortunately.

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 56
yeah, the Yuksek album is slightly glam.

also
what do you call it when there are slow raps over electro? like on the second or third Lazare track or Revolte at 22h10 by Danger?
I generally don't like that too much either, can be OK though.

Just saw the Valerie guys perform this past weekend. Was fun. Anoraak might be my favorite of the four, though I find his bad songs to really fall flat if he doesn't manage to properly balance the 80s influence.

what's up virometal, was hoping to get more users in on music discussions, perhaps it is destined to be just us though!
will look into the guys you mention, thanks.

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 56
Biologica, I doubt you like the last two I mentioned. Maybe I'm wrong, but they have more of the clean Midwest style than the distorted Ed Banger style, which I kind of associate with the French stuff.

So you didn't like Napolean or Ninehundredandeightyeight off Lazare then? I agree about the rap - it's pretty weak, though I no authority. However, I did like the synth workouts on both those tracks. I enjoyed how the lower tempo allowed a little more flourish and like to lean back imagining the keys worked.

I would call those two songs the purest electro songs on that particular album, since the genre is so in indebted to the breakbeat and analog synth bass line, plus Hip Hop DJ's practically owned that funky sound in the early 80's. Moreover, do you find the term "eletro" almost more a flavor than specific genre. It has to be at it's apex now, since it pre-dominates so much other dance music at the moment; electrohouse, electropop, electrorock, electrotechno (a somewhat redundant term), indie electo etc...etc...slap a Moog, Juno, or Nord on anything and there you have it!

I have heard Anoraak (another Frenchman right?), but you have me on the other three.

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 56
Darker, harder...

* Silicon Scally - Electrocide (crucial! oldschool! get it if you can!)

* Anthony Rother - Sex with the Machines

* Little Computer People - selftitled (this is Anthony Rother -- darker and harder than you would imagine it to be from the title.)

* Carl Finlow - Electrilogy Plus

* V/A - Nobody's Perfect vol 1,2,3 (three brilliant DJ mixes by Andrea Parker)

* anything on Rotters Golf Club

any of the above are good places to start.

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 56
Check out DJ Hells: Gigolo Records compilations. Loads of great electro to be found, though they can be hard to come by.

Dave Clarke: World Service is a two CD album with one electro CD, which is pretty nice.

For the less flamboyant styles check out Drexciya, Transllusion *...cerebral gate, Ultradyne, The Other People Place...

More easy going with vocals: Chicks on Speed: Kaltes Klares Wasser

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #15 of 56
Oh if you like dark, slow paced and with vocals check out Andrea Parker!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back