Recommend me some closed headphones that meet my criteria
Aug 13, 2007 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

elbrickodaviso

100+ Head-Fier
I don't like adding junk to boards because people ask stuff like this every day...but my set of criteria are semi-unique at least.

My rig is in my signature...I love the way it sounds for everything but the extreme ends of rock (metal, grindcore, etc). Also, sometimes people come in my room and turn on the TV and make noise and add general background noise to the room.

So, I need a set of closed cans that have great isolation, are very comfortable, and are a good contrast to my HD650. Is there anything like that? Please list any headphone that you know of that fits the bill (whether it's 50 bucks or 500, just don't leave it out so I know what all my options are!). Much appreciated!

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 12
My suggestions would be as follows (most expensive to least):

Denon D5000
Denon D2000
Sennheiser HD-25
BeyerDynamic DT250-80 (or 250-250)
Denon D1000
Equation Audio RP-21

If extreme comfort is also desired, then look no further than the Denon phones. Just know that they don't have 'great' isolation, and don't isolate as well as the other's on the list (but they isolate plenty well enough to block out a TV at a normal volume level, or ambient office noise). If you can swing it, go for the D5000s, otherwise take a look at the D2000s. There are a pair of D2000s very reasonably priced in the FS forum at this very moment (I don't suspect they will last long at that though).

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 12
The denon D200s definitely block out sound well enough while music is playing. My room mate came in the other day, turned on the tv and made some popcorn and I didnt notice he was back yet until I smelt the popcorn. I probably listen a bit loud though. I cant hear the phone ring with them on either. But when music is not playing the head phones dont block out much noise at all.

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 12
The cans with the best sound / isolation combo is the Ultrasone HFI 700....trust me on this. It blocks out about 16 DB, and it sounds very very good, I think (as Headroom does) that it sounds better than all their prolines. Plus, like you I love the HD650...so we have similar tastes.

Aug 16, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 12
I may have to look into these ultrasones. Thanks for all the replies, sorry that I am just now replying.

Isolation is a pretty big factor for me, so so far it's between the hd25 and the ultrasone. Anythang else i should be paying close attention to?

Aug 16, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget the Stax 4070 when you're looking for good closed headphones.

For grindcore!? I like them as much as the next man, but just...just no.

Actually closed Ultrasones might be a pretty good choice. The earlier closed Audio Technicas (W10LTD maybe?) should be good too. Generally the sort of music the OP listens to is more suited to open cans, though. K340s could also be modded and amped to work great for the application (yes yes, I know they aren't totally closed), but that's more a project than just a quick and cheap purchase.

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbrickodaviso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like adding junk to boards because people ask stuff like this every day...but my set of criteria are semi-unique at least.

My rig is in my signature...I love the way it sounds for everything but the extreme ends of rock (metal, grindcore, etc). Also, sometimes people come in my room and turn on the TV and make noise and add general background noise to the room.

So, I need a set of closed cans that have great isolation, are very comfortable, and are a good contrast to my HD650. Is there anything like that? Please list any headphone that you know of that fits the bill (whether it's 50 bucks or 500, just don't leave it out so I know what all my options are!). Much appreciated!

The AT L3000 sound right up your ally, or you could also check out the R10, though that might not be such a difference from your HD650.

So yea, L3000 it is.

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbrickodaviso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isolation is a pretty big factor for me, so so far it's between the hd25 and the ultrasone. Anythang else i should be paying close attention to?

I too have the HD650, as well as the HD25-1 II. They are very similar, just that the HD25-1 II is a closed version, so less soundstage and distance, more subtle detail (a la, no 'veil'). For 180$ it's a great little headphone, with surprising isolation (You would never think it could isolate as much as it does for being an on ear headphone).

It's another consideration if you want a closed version of the HD650.

Aug 16, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 12
You're looking for a contrast to the HD650? What is the quantification of your contrast? Polar, 180* out? Is that really what you want? If so, you want bright. Is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back