Recommend me some classical in the same vein as Muse's piano pieces?
Nov 5, 2007 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jellybones

500+ Head-Fier
I'd like to get more into classical music..I know Matt Bellamy's piano work is influenced by Rachmaninov. What pieces should I look for exactly? And is there anyone else I should look into? I love the way he plays and was hoping to find some similar classical works.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 6, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 5
Interesting question. Bellamy may cite Rachmaninov, but I don't hear that so much in his music. Basically, his style (with those very heavy, declamatory arpeggios) sounds more like Brahms or one of the other mid-Romantics. It's written that way so that the piano sounds clearly against loud accompaniment: in Brahms's case, an orchestra, in Bellamy's a rock band.

I think that if you're going to try to get into classical music off that specific sound, you've got a long, maybe disappointing route in front of you. Try some of Rick Wakeman's piano stuff first (he was very influenced IMHO by Beethoven's piano writing) and then try some piano concertos: Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov (it can't hurt: they're very good) and - for an unusual one - try Busoni's as well.

If it's solo piano that you're looking for, try Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" piano sonata, but it might still be "too classical". Alternatively, Busoni's "Fantasia Contrappuntistica" is a good example of very heavy Romantic solo writing, as would be Liszt's Mephisto waltzes. Whether Bellamy could actually play any of these pieces is another question ...

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 5
my friend played a rachmaninov song that sounded just like the piano in butterflies and hurricanes. i guess this isnt much help but ill post if i find out the song name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back