Recommend me some canz, not impressed with Grado SR-125s
Jul 8, 2009 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ilikebands

New Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of Grado SR-125 headphones and am not really happy with them. The detail and clarity is pretty impressive, but I find them too be much too bright and sunny, aggressive, and fatiguing. I can barely listen to music on them without feeling like my hearing is being overwhelmed. Not to mention that the bass and low ranges are pretty non-existent on these cans..

However, I also have the Sennheiser PX-100s and pretty much love them. There is ample bass, they sound comfortable to my ears and I think they are very balanced and crisp. I don't feel like throwing them off after 5 minutes like I do with the Grado cans. Don't get me wrong, the sound quality on the SR125s is pretty great, but there is something about them that just wears my ears out.

I'm shopping around for a set of cans below $200. I've read some reviews of the higher end senns (HD595 in particular) that lead me to believe they might be subject to the same problem as the SR125s in that they are marketed as not sounding very polite. Can someone recommend a good set of open phones for me that have a 'polite' sound with plenty of bass and mid-low range? Lacking brightness is very important to me as well.

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 19
Maybe you should try the Sennheiser HD238. They are very similar in sound balance to the PX100, but technically much better. Some common recommendations at this price are the HD555, HD595, MS-1, Grados, AD700 but none of them will give you what you want (either too bright or not enough bass). The HD238 is really the only can I can think of and since you like the px100 they are a very safe bet. Maybe the Beyerdynamic DTX800 would work as well (if you want a full size set of cans) but he DTX900 would probably be too bright.

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 19
What are you using to drive the Grados? With a decent amp, the K601 is a good option in this price range. The SRH840 may also be more to your liking when it comes out next week.

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you using to drive the Grados? With a decent amp, the K601 is a good option in this price range. The SRH840 may also be more to your liking when it comes out next week.

Eh, I don't think the K601 has "plenty of bass" like he wants.
wink.gif

Probably the SRH840 may indeed be what he's looking for.

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, I don't think the K601 has "plenty of bass" like he wants.
wink.gif

Probably the SRH840 may indeed be what he's looking for.

The SRH840 are closed back phones and he stated he wanted open
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SRH840 are closed back phones and he stated he wanted open
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, I just got owned. My eyes just targeted on the "plenty of bass" part.
redface.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 19
I have Grados from 60's to modded 225's (and soon the HF-2), and I love my 125's. Maybe its because I'm driving them with an LD MK III.
OP doesn't sound like the grado type. Perhaps Audio Technica or Ultrasone?

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 19
It sounds like you'd like the HD580/600. very "polite"
They -need- an beefy amp though and will end up costing you much more than you want.

Also, HD555 and HD595 are not higher end Senns.
Most people around here don't rank these very high.

I don't think that there are any other open cans that would suit you.
The SRH840 sounds like a good option, but they aren't open.

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 19
gee..it's too bad you didn't like the grado sound. I never listened to your model but my RS-1 rocks! if you want to get some bass to your grados you can try this mod: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...ad-mod-148598/

I did it with my RS-1 and the difference is day and night. i really recommend you try it, it enhanced my whole grado listening experience.
if you want another can,than probably a pair of senns will suit your needs.

by the way...what is the rest of your setup?
good luck!

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 19
Did it get the chance to burn in? I think mine smoothed out with some use, and definitely improved on the bass after a week or two/three.
This is just FWIW, they won't change day/night so the Grado sound may just not fit you. Sennheisers are the opposite, if those are not polite no headphone will be. If found my HD555 enjoyable, if a bit boring. Good smooth sound for the money. HD595 are about the same, HD600/650 is a big step up IMO.

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gee..it's too bad you didn't like the grado sound. I never listened to your model but my RS-1 rocks! if you want to get some bass to your grados you can try this mod: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...ad-mod-148598/

I did it with my RS-1 and the difference is day and night. i really recommend you try it, it enhanced my whole grado listening experience.
if you want another can,than probably a pair of senns will suit your needs.

by the way...what is the rest of your setup?
good luck!

I have the MS1i, not sure if they are completely different in this manner, but I find the bass to be very great.

Coming from the RX700's I was reluctant, and worried about the bass being significantly less but it wasn't. I don't know if the MS1i has more bass than the other Grados, but it sounds a lot more better than I expected.... it's great. Sounds enough for techno and really bassy songs too (maybe not rap but I haven't tried that yet).

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #13 of 19
I'd try the "basshead" modification and see if the noticeable bass boost allows you to turn the volume down and still have the required amount of bass. This should rid you of some of the fatigue. Senn HD 414 pads--unmodded--should tame the highs a bit while increasing the bass as well.

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by wackydesigner
I can't believe some of these recommendations! The Grado and Sennheiser sounds are completely different-night/day difference.

Sounds like Sennheiser is a good option to me:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikebands /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, I also have the Sennheiser PX-100s and pretty much love them.
Can someone recommend a good set of open phones for me that have a 'polite' sound with plenty of bass and mid-low range? Lacking brightness is very important to me as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back