recommend me some better classical
Apr 3, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #16 of 29
For sheer orchestral (and choral) impact, nothing in my collection can equal the Telarc/Shaw recording of the Berlioz Requiem.

With four augmented brass sections, an earthquake of drums, and Judgment Day as its centerpiece, it makes quite a splash.
If you want brass, this is the way to go.
biggrin.gif

(And do be careful with your hearing. The thing sneaks up on you.)

BW

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #18 of 29
A nice, cheap set of Beethoven symphonies is a good way to get started!

I agree that Bruckner is especially fine for massed brass. A good place to start is the 3rd movement of the 7th.

Apr 4, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by XXhalberstramXX
i can't believe nobody has mentioned Mahler. the 3rd and 5th symphonies begin with very prominant and powerful horn parts, and Mahler uses a lot of brass throughout his symphonies.

Yep I love Mahler but I would hesitate to consider Mahler (or Bruckner) beginners Classical music, its pretty dense stuff 1 and 4 are the most accessible (pretty short too). But it is very rewarding.

I havent been paying attention, is Mahler back in vogue again ?

Apr 4, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Yep I love Mahler but I would hesitate to consider Mahler (or Bruckner) beginners Classical music, its pretty dense stuff 1 and 4 are the most accessible (pretty short too). But it is very rewarding.

I disagree that Mahler and Bruckner are too inaccessible and dense to the classical newbie. IMO Bruckner's 9th is just as easy to 'understand' as Beethoven's 9th (although truly understanding it is hampered by the fact that it remains unfinished).
and, quite frankly, Mahler's 1st bores me. The jump in depth and quality of music between the 1st and 2nd symphonies is nothing short of stunning. The most important thing to loving these symphonies is repeated listening. With time, everything falls into place and makes sense. long term musical rewards (eg classical) are much more fulfilling than quick, short term rewards (pop).

Apr 5, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #21 of 29
Just for some variety:

Beethoven piano sonatas, try the tempest and waldstein.

Naxos have a pretty good disk "The great piano sonatas: waldstein, les adieux, tempest" and I recommend it. Piano never got me rockin like this one does...

TonyAAA

Apr 5, 2004 at 2:28 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

I disagree that Mahler and Bruckner are too inaccessible and dense to the classical newbie....and, quite frankly, Mahler's 1st bores me.

I knew this would happen ....

I may start a poll on this
biggrin.gif

Quote:

The jump in depth and quality of music between the 1st and 2nd symphonies is nothing short of stunning. The most important thing to loving these symphonies is repeated listening. With time, everything falls into place and makes sense. long term musical rewards (eg classical) are much more fulfilling than quick, short term rewards (pop).

I absolutely agree with the last 2 sentences. Also you are right the 1st and 2nd are very different, 2 has more depth(IMHO) and emotional involvement especially given the subject matter, quality is a rather subjective thing - its (imho) all about what you personally get out of it. If a bunch of experts speak about its depth and involvement and (god forbid) uplifting qualities and it does nothing for you - well it still does nothing for you.

My Wife and I saw a live performance of Mahler 2 at the RAH in London, I sat transfixed, my Wife sat utterly bored, my Wife is a good deal smarter than myself - Ph.D and University Professor and capable of understanding and constructing complex and subtle arguments but cannot be persuaded to like Mahler at all.

Thank goodness for headphones.

Quote:

Some Mahler is good as well, particularly the last movement of the 1st........

There is nothing quite like being taken out of context.
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #24 of 29
This is not a Mahler debate thread. Some like him, others don't. Just about like anything. He is complex, and his symphonies have a complex structure, even more so than Beethoven. But he could orchestrate. I merely suggested that his 1st is the easiest to relate to because of the use of standard tonality. Its not always easy to get into Mahler for beginning classical enthusiasts. I am a celllist and a lifelong classical collector and it took me some years before I "studied" them. The studying is ongoing. He was really hung up on death. Kindertotenlieder, Lots of funeral marches, even a sequence that mimics his own cardiac arrhythmia. Complex, no?

Now, back to suggestions. I must say that I think chamber music excels via headphones. A trio, quartet, etc. It seems to me the high level of detail afforded by phones is particularily noticeable where you can follow the individual lines of the instruments. Also, the acoustical "space" between them is more obvious. I have recently bought the Haydn Quartets (all of them) on Naxos. This is not a box set. You have to order individual discs. But at $6.98 oer, you can go for it! The recordings and performances are terrific. Try any of the Op. 71 or 76 quartets.

And being a cellist, I must suggest Dvorak Cello Concerto. I like the Rostropovich recordings, but take your pick. For violin, the Beethoven Concerto, Tchaikovsky concerto, Sibelius concerto.
Brahms Double Concert0 for Violin and Cello.

Carmina Burana, for powerful choral.

Mozart Clarinet Concerto, and the Clarinet Quintet. OMG! Masterpieces, both.

Bach Bradenburg Concerti. No. 2 has a trumpet lead!

Handel's Watermusic.

Stravinski- The Firebired Suite, and the more challenging Rite of Spring.

Beethoven- Just get all the symphonies and learn every note. You will have your favorites, but all are good.
Piano Sonatas -Pathetique, Appasionata, Waldstein, Hammerklavier.

Mussorgsky- Pictures at an Exhibition, Night on a Bald Mountain

There are many other "gems". I could suggest till you are blue in the face.

Apr 5, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

I have recently bought the Haydn Quartets (all of them) on Naxos. This is not a box set. You have to order individual discs. But at $6.98 oer, you can go for it! The recordings and performances are terrific. Try any of the Op. 71 or 76 quartets.

Those are nice. I recently picked up the Opus 33 and Opus 50 sets and was pleased by the Kodaly Quartet's playing and by the quality of the recorded sound. Wish they were available boxed.

And I second the recommendation for chamber music and headphones. There's something about the intimacy of the experience that accords well with small ensemble.

Beethoven - Archduke Trio

Borodin - String Quartet No. 2

Smetana - String Quartet No. 1

Schubert - C-major String Quintet and the Piano Trios

All good.

BW

Apr 6, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #27 of 29
I recommend Paganini's 24 Capricci for some hyperactive violin action.

I'm a big fan of Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops. I went every chance I got when I lived in Cincinnati.

I'm a big Telarc whore. I love their recording quality in general. The fact that they master most everything in DSD now makes upgrading to SACD more and more tempting.

-Ed

Apr 8, 2004 at 10:04 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by dolifant
Dvorak New World Symphony, esp the 4th movement

Every movement of that symphony is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back