recommend me some beatles
May 14, 2007 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

bellsprout

500+ Head-Fier
i never listened to beatles that much - i thought they were just a group that made rock big, but i listened to "while my guitar gently weeps" and i was very impressed with the songwriting. the riffs and bass line was simply art!

which other similar beatles songs should i check out?

May 14, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 33
My personal favorite Beatles album is Abbey Road but it is different from most of their other albums and might not be a good starting point. Get a copy of '1' and hear all their hits.

May 14, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 33
I usually find that the "Blue Album" Best of - 1967 to 1970 has everything i want to listen to. But they are terribly over-rated you know
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 14, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 33
I'll second the "Love" and "1" recommendations as a starting point as well. The Beatles are in need of a modern remastering job, big time. The original albums have very hard stereo seperation (vocals on one channel, full band on the other, etc.) so can be awful with headphones.

If you (almost inevitably) get sucked into the Beatles albums, I suggest starting with Revolver.

May 14, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i never listened to beatles that much - i thought they were just a group that made rock big, but i listened to "while my guitar gently weeps" and i was very impressed with the songwriting. the riffs and bass line was simply art!

which other similar beatles songs should i check out?

Yeah, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is one of my favourites, i don't know how many songs George wrote, but i suppose the most similar would be "Something" . I've really only liked them as a "Singles" band, i was never all that blown away with their full length albums.

Eleanor Rigby is another favorite.

May 14, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #13 of 33
Just as different opinion: I wouldn't use "Love" as an introduction into the Beatles music, since some songs are just heavily altered (although the variety of songs is really quite nice)

I would listen to the originals first, and THEN listen to Love. This way you can appreciate the additions to the music, and not wonder "hey, where did that background track go?" but that's just MHO.....

PS: Since some one mentioned Sgt. Pepper from Love: This track is horrible to me! This damn beat they mixed into it, i can't stand it at all..... and i LOVE the original version!

May 14, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 33
If I was the person you mention, this was not my intention
smily_headphones1.gif
. I wanted to say that my favourite album is Sgt. Peppers, not that I prefer Sgt. Peppers from Love. I much prefer the original!

May 14, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 33
If you're seriously just starting, nearly all the Love/1 anthologies are a great starting point, but I still think the best place if you're looking for an album is Abbey Road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back