Recommend me music: classical / orchestral
Mar 14, 2009 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Lamenthe

100+ Head-Fier
Recently I've been trying to broaden my musical horizons and I feel that some good classical or orchestral music is a good next step. The problem is I have no idea where to even start. There are just too many renditions or different orchestras to choose.

Recommend me some audiophile grade classical/orchestral albums! Thanks in advance
L3000.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 30
Is there a particular piece or composer, something you've heard and liked? That would make it easier to make recommendations. Classical music enthusiasts always have their favorites.

If you just need to get started, this list has a wide variety of styles: The A List - Audiophilia. As you can see from the list, there good interpretations in excellent sound on mid-priced labels. The CD listed for Holst: The Planets, a very popular piece often recommended as a starter, is only $10.99 from amazon.

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 30
Thanks for the links and suggestions. Regarding particular pieces or composers: I'm afraid I can't pin down a name. I always hear it in passing (radio, TV, etc) and go "oh that sounds great," but I never get the name down.

I've got a pretty open mind, so anything to get me started and I'll narrow it down eventually. These links are a great start. Thanks again.

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 30
I still don't get why such mediocre composers like Holst and Elgar always get recommended right away to someone interested in learning about "classical" music. These are second- and third-string guys.

Start with the names that you do know -- and with good reason. Mozart, Beethoven, Bach. They actually were three of the best composers of all time, that's why you most likely have heard their names! Other very accessible composers include Dvorak, Rachmaninov, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Vivaldi, Rimsky-Korsakov. They all have great orchestral music.

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 30
If you think you might like dark, elegant, and tragic music, my favorite piece of orchestral music of all time is Mozart's Requiem. My favorite recording is by Ricardo Muti. This CD has been out of print for some time and might cost you a pretty penny but it is a masterpiece in every way. Check it out on Amazon. Despite what Amazon says the inventory is, it is difficult to get a hold of but be persistent and you will be rewarded for a lifetime.

Amazon.com: Mozart: Requiem; Ave Verum Corpus: James Morris, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Riccardo Muti, Waltraud Meier, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Patrizia Pace, Frank Lopardo: Music

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 30
I gave some mozart, beethoven, bach, mendelsson and liszt a try and the only piece that I could listen to was Requiem by Mozart. I found it to be quite good too.

Anything else similar to requiem?

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 30
Also, just a slightly superfluous (I hope) clarification: when I say "mediocre," this is, of course, from my perspective. I don't think there's anything wrong with listening to Holst or Elgar's music. Hell, you can listen to Philip Glass for all I care. But I think it's worth listening to the big names first -- I think it's the best way to start your self-education in "classical" music.

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently I've been trying to broaden my musical horizons and I feel that some good classical or orchestral music is a good next step. The problem is I have no idea where to even start. There are just too many renditions or different orchestras to choose.

Recommend me some audiophile grade classical/orchestral albums! Thanks in advance
L3000.gif

I've got huge respect for Bach, Mozart and Beethoven but I can't say that I particularly enjoy listening to them anymore, or rather there are others I personally prefer.

Holst and Elgar have written some great music and it may be that you will enjoy them more than the big three above. Alternatively you may end up really liking renaissance style or the more modern style of someone like Stravinsky. What sort of music do you currently listen to? This might give us some clues as to what to recommend.

Cheers, G

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't get why such mediocre composers like Holst and Elgar always get recommended right away to someone interested in learning about "classical" music. These are second- and third-string guys.

Start with the names that you do know -- and with good reason. Mozart, Beethoven, Bach. They actually were three of the best composers of all time, that's why you most likely have heard their names! Other very accessible composers include Dvorak, Rachmaninov, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Vivaldi, Rimsky-Korsakov. They all have great orchestral music.

They don't require any concentration or knowledge in order to enjoy them. But, not all of Elgar is third-rate, nor all of Holst. Elgar's Cello Concerto is quite a nice piece, while Holst's Planets has become cliche, it's still the best thing he wrote. Other perennial recommendations are Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain and Pictures for an Exhibition. And don't forget Tchaikovsky, just not just that perennial Head-fi favorite 1812 Overture (How many people recommend that to test their headphones or speakers around here? I'd love a nickel for each one, or even a penny.)

Come to think of it, why not recommend some Hovhaness? If someone likes The Planets or Night on Bald Mountain, then they will probably like Hovhaness' Mysterious Mountain.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregorio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got huge respect for Bach, Mozart and Beethoven but I can't say that I particularly enjoy listening to them anymore, or rather there are others I personally prefer.

Holst and Elgar have written some great music and it may be that you will enjoy them more than the big three above. Alternatively you may end up really liking renaissance style or the more modern style of someone like Stravinsky. What sort of music do you currently listen to? This might give us some clues as to what to recommend.

Cheers, G

I'm not the OP but could you recommend me some stuff based on the fact that I like rock, alternative and ballads, also some symphonic metal (eg. black rose immortal)

also, I liked requiem (mozart) but didn't totally 'get' it (only 1 listen though)

check my http://www.last.fm/user/shubhangam for detailed info

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by shubhangam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not the OP but could you recommend me some stuff based on the fact that I like rock, alternative and ballads, also some symphonic metal (eg. black rose immortal)

also, I liked requiem (mozart) but didn't totally 'get' it (only 1 listen though)

check my shubhangam’s Music Profile – Users at Last.fm for detailed info

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

You may well find some of Stravinsky's stuff interesting. Although it's a little hardcore, you could try the Rite of Spring (Le Sacre du Pretemps). the Firebird is another piece by Stravinsky but is not anywhere near as hardcore as the Rite of Spring. Also Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra. The Mahler Symphonies might be good for you, although you may find them a little heavy going. Try Maher's 5th Sympnony first. Holzt's The Planets as mentioned above could well float your boat. I'm sure you'll recognise at least the Mars movement.

Mozart's Requiem is one of the all time classics but an appreciation of the Requiem form would help you to enjoy it more. If the idea of the Requiem appeals, another classic would be Verdi's Requiem. You might even consider something like Carmina Burana (Carl Orff).

Some pieces actually have a storyline and these can often be easily understood and appreciated. There are many pieces in this category (often called tone poems) but a big dramatic one worth listening to would be Richard Strauss' Alpine Symphony. Mendelssohn's Hebridies Overture is a good tone poem and much more closely related to Mozart than most of my other suggestions.

See how you get on with some of these. If you like any of them we can suggest other similar pieces, if not we can take a different track and try something completely different.

G

Mar 14, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 30
im new to classical too, very new, holst planets i do like alot,

only got as far as poplar composers and popular pieces so far

i think classical is a natural lprogression for me, liking trance, symphonic music

Mar 14, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the links and suggestions. Regarding particular pieces or composers: I'm afraid I can't pin down a name. I always hear it in passing (radio, TV, etc) and go "oh that sounds great," but I never get the name down.

Many (most?) classical radio stations publish a playlist on-line by time played. When I hear something interesting, I just jot down or remember the time and look it up later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back