Recommend me Jazz
Jul 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #17 of 50
I'll second the suggestion of Pat Metheny. Not only is he a superb guitarist but he's a quality composer as well.

His latest CD "Unity Band" is an excellent quartet outing. As the other poster mentioned "Bright Size Life" is a quintessential guitar trio recording and features Jaco Pastorius on bass.

The Pat Metheny Group tends a bit more towards fusion, the most recent Group CD "The Way Up" was a compositional masterpiece IMO and covers a lot of musical territory.

Jul 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #18 of 50
I'd really urge you to get one of the Bill Evans at the Village Vanguard recordings and listen to it for it's feeling. Evan's and the trio pour emotion into the pieces, and I think it's a great entry way into jazz music because you can follow the emotion and feeling there as they are so up front. I know you're looking for structure, but I think there is a great value in trying to connect with the emotions of jazz. YMMV.

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #20 of 50
Quote:
I unfortunately did not think much of Channel Orange when I was looking for some R&B songs :frowning2: 

Kinda hard to find decent R&B these days. Actually I haven't heard any really good R&B songs since the 90's early 2000's, perhaps I'm looking at the wrong places. Anyway, totally different thread but Frank Ocean is probably the only somewhat decent R&B artist that I've heard. I would totally agree though that his music isn't all that. 

Anyway, hope you look into Pat Methany, his music is very nostalgic. : ) 

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #21 of 50
Inspired by this thread, I had a quick look for Bill Evans CDs and came across 'The Riverside Years', a 5 CD set. Has anyone here heard it? I'd appreciate any insight into the sound quality of this release, or whether there are better alternatives. Thanks.

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #22 of 50
If you're a Bach fan, you probably will like the Modern Jazz Quartet and much of the cool jazz movement. Aside from Bill Evans, give a listen to Miles Davis' Complete Birth of the Cool, Gerry Mulligan, Paul Desmond, and Chet Baker. I'm brain-dead at the moment or I'd remember the arranger for the Complete Birth recordings, who is also someone worth following up on.

I had a guitar teacher say one that bop is a jazz response to Baroque polyphony and I think he was right. The challenge is that the harmonic structures are operating under a different set of rules than was the norm in say 1765.

Good luck

Oh and Dave Brubeck. I find him a little boring, but he might be someone you'd find interesting.

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #24 of 50
Quote:
Inspired by this thread, I had a quick look for Bill Evans CDs and came across 'The Riverside Years', a 5 CD set. Has anyone here heard it? I'd appreciate any insight into the sound quality of this release, or whether there are better alternatives. Thanks.

I don't have The Riverside Years, but I can't ever remember hearing anyone complain about the sound quality on Bill Evans discs. I have all of those records, and it's certainly never bothered me. Normally, I'd say just get Portrait in Jazz and the recent 3-CD box set of the Village Vanguard sessions, but The Riverside Years can be found ridiculously cheap, so if we're thinking bargain-wise, why not?

…next…I can't believe I'm about to suggest something so obvious (I joined head-fi to do the exact opposite), but Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue, which also features Bill Evans on several tracks, isn't a bad idea, either. After those, though, I'm gonna tell everyone to add the saxist Lucky Thompson to their lists…lotsa structure there, and also quite inventive…

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #25 of 50
Can't believe I didn't post this sooner. Jazz-bluesy electric guitar. One of the first jazz albums I've heard and still one of my favorites. Well structured, very memorable melodies.

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #30 of 50
I wasn't too into it when I heard the samples on Amazon. The general feeling I got was it was too synthetic and it wasn't very memorable. A little too modern for me or perhaps just not my style. 

Quote:
Thanks for all the recommendation guys. I'm still listening to them one by one. Btw anyone here like the "First Circle" by Pat Metheny? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back