Recommend me headphones for gaming, music
Dec 19, 2006 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

xrM

Head-Fier
Preferably something that has bass as strong at the AKG K81DJ. Preferably around the same price range too. But I would be using it for gaming too, some of the guys here say that the K81DJ has bad soundstage?

If so, what other headphones do you guys recommend that has the price and bass of the K81DJ, but yet still as not too shabby soundstage for FPS gaming.

Will plugging it mostly to my iriver h10 and my audio jacks on my computer, no amps.

Thanks! (my first thread here
biggrin.gif
)

Dec 19, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 25
I currently own the HD280Pro's and I would normally recommend them for gaming as that's what I primarily do (competitive Q3, specifically CPMA/VQ3 1v1/TDM) but they're durability as of late leaves something to be desired. I'm looking into other pairs right now and looking at the MDR-V6 which can be had for $70 shipped from www.etronics.com. I might end up getting those after Christmas for the heck of it.

Dec 19, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 25
omg noobs use the search feature!!!

seriously guys do look around before posting. the audiotechnica line is pretty good to look at. Sennheiser 555 and 595 are open cans as are the AT but they are built friggin TOUGH. those are the best budget gaming cans around $75-$150

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 25
The AT-A500 should also be a consideration as they have a great soundstage to meet your gaming needs. They are also easily driven and don't require an amp to sound good. They also do music quite well for a set of cans in that price range. As spacemanspliff has mentioned, do a search as there are numerous threads on the A500 and other recommended cans.

Dec 19, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by xrM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Preferably something that has bass as strong at the AKG K81DJ. Preferably around the same price range too. But I would be using it for gaming too, some of the guys here say that the K81DJ has bad soundstage?

If so, what other headphones do you guys recommend that has the price and bass of the K81DJ, but yet still as not too shabby soundstage for FPS gaming.

Will plugging it mostly to my iriver h10 and my audio jacks on my computer, no amps.

Thanks! (my first thread here
biggrin.gif
)

In that price range I'd say HD485. If you can spend more A700 or A900 are good choice. I have A900 and HD485 and A900 sound MUCH better in games, LOADS more detail and clarity.

Dec 20, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
omg noobs use the search feature!!!

seriously guys do look around before posting. the audiotechnica line is pretty good to look at. Sennheiser 555 and 595 are open cans as are the AT but they are built friggin TOUGH. those are the best budget gaming cans around $75-$150

Hey show the new ones some respect, and keep an orderly tone.

The Sony xd400 is soundwize very close to the ath a900 but cheaper. I can only recommend them, I even gave my little brother a pair.

Btw welcome to the forum, and sorry about your wallet.

Dec 20, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 25
i just got my first pair of good headphones yesterday, and they are the ath a700 from audio technica. they work very well with css, i had to go to my friends house and play a pc game, i used to play cs1.6 and unfortunetly css is the only game he had... but im sure this headset works well with other games.these do not require a amp. in fact, these work well with my tiny mp3 player, so they (to me) seem fine with a small power source. you dont need an amp for this pair, just a good sound card, and if you call yourself a gamer, then you have one of those :).

i am very pleased with the performance of these headphones, and they couldnt be better for gaming... although i did come from some earbudz and a $30 voIP headset from logitech, so anything that is 'audiophile' level will sound good to me ;P

be warned, these are the biggest headphones ive ever seen, or worn for that matter... although, these are the only full size circumaural ive worn besides icemat's siberia 'gaming' headphones and the bose triports. these are much better than the icemats even with the usb sound card that i specifically meant for those paticular pair. i will admit that the icemats are *slightly* more comfortable than the ath a700. youll be fine with these, they are comfortable enough, And they have better sound

if your doing online gaming, then you need a mic obviously. i think the Zalman ZM-MIC1 mic will do fine, it attaches to the headphones cord and is small and good.

get these for gaming and music, they dont require an amp and are very good.
i got my pair for $130 with shipping and tax, i got lucky i guess...

but just be warned, these things surprised me with their size, if you think icemats are big, think agian. they are so big, my mom wont let me take them to school :p so i have to resort to my bad earbudz

these sound paticulary well with Juno Reactor... :wink:

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #8 of 25
Yup, I already did a look around the site and was contemplating between the K81, A700 and the DT770. But just wanted more opinion cause I don't know very much bout headphones.

Between the A700 and DT770, which has better bass? Soundstage should be about the same right? And thanks for all your replies!

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #9 of 25
Love my 555s for gaming and movies...music is nice also. They are built extremely well also, can toss them about without worry.

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #10 of 25
dt 770s have better bass than the a700s, but you need a headphone amp to get that bass...

... that is why i didnt get them :|

what type of gaming are you in? fps' that require exact sound?

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 25
I've read alot of reviews saying the Ultrasone 650's are great headphones for gaming because of the bass, and the S-Logic technology. I own the 650's but I do not play games!

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by asellus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dt 770s have better bass than the a700s, but you need a headphone amp to get that bass...

... that is why i didnt get them :|

what type of gaming are you in? fps' that require exact sound?

FPS stuff like CS for lans, and far cry, f.e.a.r., bf2, etc. And I'm also into techno, thats why I favour K81's bass.

By the way, is the K81's soundstage that bad? I did a bit of searching around and some say it's bad some say it's good, some say it's good for gaming, others not..
confused.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 25
idk the akg k81, this isnt a good way to judge a headphone but... they run for $60... im kinda n00b, but i think youll be better off with something more expensive
tongue.gif

i see you play cs. my friend uses a pair of icemats, my ath a700 are better though
smily_headphones1.gif

the soundstage is great on these headphones. later this week ill probably play some bf2, 2142 and more doom3. im sure these headphones will prove thier price... they are the best headphones ive heard with gaming. ill say something when i get to play those games

ive also heard that senns are great for gaming and i see them in the cpl, check those out ...

yea i remix and stuff and techno is what i do... these pwn for techno l4wls

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by asellus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i see you play cs. my friend uses a pair of icemats, my ath a700 are better though
smily_headphones1.gif

the soundstage is great on these headphones. later this week ill probably play some bf2, 2142 and more doom3. im sure these headphones will prove thier price... they are the best headphones ive heard with gaming. ill say something when i get to play those games

ive also heard that senns are great for gaming and i see them in the cpl, check those out ...

yea i remix and stuff and techno is what i do... these pwn for techno l4wls

Are you referring to the K81 or the A700? I've got a budget around the cost of a K81 only
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #15 of 25
im all for the ath a700

but if your on a budget, then you might want to look at the icemat siberia. you can get them with the soundcard for $66. they work well with games and they are used in the cpl, and the soundcard that comes with them is great. but if you have a good soundcard, then you can get them without the usb soundcard for around $45...

they are good for the price

designed for gaming and they work well with music...

icemat.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back