Recommend me earbuds based on the following:
Jan 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

z28dreams

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've tried the following earbuds, but am looking for something new:

JVC Marshmallows:  Pretty damn good for $6 earbuds, but they aren't super clear and are lacking in highs.  Mids and bass are just OK.
Meelectronic M9's:  I like how punchy they are, but find they are a bit fatiguing and lacking in mids.  Voices get drowned out a bit.
VSonic GR02 Bass Edition:  Hated these.  The bass was way too boomy and completely overpowered everything.

Basically I'd like something where:
- highs are present but not piercing/shrill
- mids are nice and warm and not overpowered
- bass is punchy.  I'm willing to settle for good tight midbass if I have to give up some deep bass.

Any suggestions for $40 or less?

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 3
http://www.amazon.com/SI500-Clarity-Isolation-Headphones-Microphone/dp/B005WKYKI6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1357763542&sr=8-8&keywords=able+planet+sound+clarity

im loving these right now. the isolation is not great but if thats not extremely important to you i think these deliver the sound you're looking for. excellent separation, clarity and extension of both treble and bass. none of the shrill fake airy (open housing) harshness associated with cheap (and even not so cheap) iems. everything sounds like it's supposed to. very smooth and controlled throughout.

i had these in for a couple of hours last night just cruising the internet doing some reading and craigslist cruising. they sound just awesome. sometimes i forgot they were in just being zoned out to some ambient stuff. then i take notice all of a sudden. but my reaction, instead of the usual "wow it's been a couple hours maybe i should take these out" with other sets that ive had, turned into an addicted sort of struggle to even stop listening.

i listen to rap as well. also metal. also some acoustic (alice n chains unplugged for example). these do EVERYTHING well. from korn to tech n9ne. fear factory to future sound. twiztid to thievery corporation. these are a great sounding versatile set that does great with everything

also i was really considering brainwavz R1. i bet they sound ok. build quality might be a bit better than my able planets but i dont think either is too horrible.
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Dynamic-Speaker-In-Ear-Earphones/dp/B009UNZ5WQ/ref=pd_sbs_e_5

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 3
http://www.amazon.com/Astrotec-Balanced-Armature-Moving-Headphones/dp/B008FLWPKO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357876475&sr=1-1&keywords=am90

The AM90s have a warmish and very well balanced signature with a laid-back treble too. Low end is punchy and tight, not overly done as should be with BA earphones, but it obviously won't have as good sub-bass as the GR02Bass. Mids are very competent, and tend to be warmish, but not too forward at all and certainly not the focus of the signature. Highs are present and boast decent extension, but are mostly laid back and inoffensive. It's really hard to say that these are harsh in any way.

The Brainwavz R1 is V-shaped; the bass extends quite low and has a slowish impact, creating rumble but also can appear boomy to some. The mids are pulled away, somewhat recessed and warm sounding. The highs boast good extension and have a nice amount of sparkle, but is prone to sibilance and harshness. Most likely not one you would like if you found the GR02Bass that overly bassy, but I have not heard the JVC Marshmallows in a while, so I don't believe I can comment on those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back