Recommend me decent cans for my friend!
Dec 11, 2009 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

joomongj

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello head-fi's,

my friend's bday's coming up in a month and I think I wanna give him a decent pair of cans for his bday. My budet is <= 300 USD bucks and looking for either open or closed but preferably closed due to the environment in which he usually listens to music. He is NOT an audiophile, in fact he's no where near being one even though he enjoys listening to music, he doesn't have exceedingly trained ears like many of us. The only source he will drive off is his iPhone. So I need cans that are easily drivable, preferably closed but has good mids/highs. He listens to all kinds of music but rarely in the heavy metal department.

I'm looking for one that has good mid/highs & wide soundstage while at the same time has a decent amount of bass (quality is irrelevant for his ears), which hopefully won't look too cheap. I thought of getting him a d2000, but as I have one myself, its soundstage isn't as wide as my ad900 and has recessed mids. My ad900 on the other hand is a little shy on bass while excelling at soundstage, treble areas. So I need one that is reasonably compromised on both ends of the spectrum. The leading contender I'm considering right now is HD555 but is open and as I have never owned one I don't know about its SQ. I've ruled out DT880, HD600 for the time being due their relatively high impedance. Also thinking about k701, but its impedance is 62 ohms, slightly higher than I hoped but don't know about its bass. So what would you suggest?

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 2
Any <200 closed phone with an amp.

Like the SRH840, M50, D2000?

Maybe some punchin'' SR225's with the bithead at Headroom for $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back