Recommend me closed headphones!
Mar 9, 2010 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

lazybum

100+ Head-Fier
Hi im quite new to full sized headphones so i need a bit of help choosing one to start off.

My budget is max 250 or less, new or used. Preferably around 200 bucks or below. I'm looking for something is the best bang for buck as money don't come easy for me as a student and i would like to get the best out of my investment
bigsmile_face.gif

Im gonna use them for both at home and transportable, so something of lower profile and not ugly would be great, although that won't be my main concern. But i would definitely like them closed.

Ill be using them with a meier audio MOVE as my amp/dac, if it matters. Im not exactly sure how powerful the MOVE is but i don't think it'll be able to handle cans with abnormally high ohms so they're out for me. But i wouldn't really want cans that are too easy to drive too, as i'll feel like im not getting the most out of my MOVE
tongue.gif
. Unless of course, that pair of phones really sounds spectacular unamped.

I listen to quite a wide range of music, including rock, jpop, jazz, recently getting into classical

I would say i'm looking for a more all rounded and neutral sound signature.
Bass that has decent quantity but not too overpowering. Whats important is that its tight and deep. Something along the lines of RE0's bass with a bit more body. Mids must not be recessed. Highs should be relatively bright and sparkly without being grainy or too sibilant. Would prefer the sound to be airy with good instrument separations.

Do recommend me some headphones that are along the lines of my criteria! And if possible, include why you would recommend them. Thanks!

Some phones that im considering include:
SRH840
ATH-A700
ATH-A900
Denon D2000

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

I would say i'm looking for a more all rounded and neutral sound signature.
Bass that has decent quantity but not too overpowering. Whats important is that its tight and deep. Something along the lines of RE0's bass with a bit more body. Mids must not be recessed. Highs should be relatively bright and sparkly without being grainy or too sibilant. Would prefer the sound to be airy with good instrument separations.

I recommend the K271s (55 ohm). They´re fairy easy to drive but they need current, so your MOVE will help. They´re also meant to be pro studio monitors, they´re VERY neutral. I didn´t try the RE0 but I have the RE2 and the K271 are totally in other league. Mids are the best you can get from a closed HP iMO. The bass is very well presented, accurate, not boomy or colored.

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 29
I wouldn't wear any of those big AT's on the go.
They are simply too big, and depending on how large your head is, they might also slip off easily. And you'd look like a freak.
tongue_smile.gif

But judging from your requirements, I think you are on the right line by considering AT headphones.

You might be able to score a used ESW9 from the for sale boards around your budget.

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #4 of 29
The K271s looks good. But i did a search and it seems that the K271s need a lot of power to perform. Will a portable amp like the MOVE be sufficient?

As for the size, as long as its not really super big it should be fine. If i use it outside ill most likely not be using it while walking around. More of like for use in the library etc.

As for the ESW9, im not sure but it seems like most full sized closed cans around that price range perform better? Its a portable after all and has its limitations due to size and stuff.

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #6 of 29
You sure? Taking a full sized can around is a major commitment, they won't fit into my backpack full of law books and wouldn't have fit in my light messenger I used for undergrad.

Plus, it's not a matter of better or worse. For example, though my D5000 has its advantages, especially a wider soundstage, I think the ESW10JPN's sound signature is more versatile. The D5000's heavy bass is overpowering on some tracks - especially Jpop. It's not even that big of a compromise, the soundstage is far wider than IEMs, directionality is excellent and the detail is there. The ESW10JPN actually suits your requirements quite well, but I'm not sure about the 9's, apparently they are less detailed and bassier. Taking care of them is easier, I just fold them down into the cloth bag and put them into the backpack, I would have no idea how to handle big cans on the move. That said, the circumaurals are much more comfortable where glasses are involved.

Of course, I can't give opinions about D2000, the ESW9 (though I do have their bigger brothers) or the K271. But I'm trying to illustrate that it's more about finding a personal match by comparing my D5000 and ESW10JPN's. Can portable cans, even the vaunted ESW10JPN, duplicate a big can sound - no (the Edition 8 and the upcoming B&W might differ). But it's much more suitable for my tastes and lifestyle habits.

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 29
I won't comment on how not portable either of these are but I did own the SRH840 and I currently own the D2000. The Shure is much more balanced and better sounding to me. When I got the D2000, I wasn't happy with the sound. I'm still not very happy with the way it sounds. It's much more bassier and this bass just dominates the mids. Sure, the D2000 has the fun factor but if it is your only headphone, I'd go with the Shures. Can't comment on the AT closed models as I've never heard of them.

If you're looking for an ok sounding headphone for the go, have a look at the AT ES7. It's cheap and sound ok but the bass does become fatiguing to me. That said, the D2000 makes my head sore much faster.
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 29
Well about how transportable they are, im planning on getting a dedicated case/carrier for them should i be bringing them out so i think it should be quite alright. Besides, just to clarify, ill be using these phones 70% of the times at home and 30% outside, where the outside would be like when im sitting down and not moving around. So i don't think portability will really be that big an issue for me, as long as the headphones aren't significantly bigger than the average full sized cans.

So anyway thanks for all the suggestions so far. My purpose of this thread is actually to shortlist the possible closed cans that might be for me, before going down to jaben to audition them (if they happen to have those phones) to narrow down the list even more before deciding.

So far heres the list that i have in mind:
SRH840
A700
A900
D2000
K271s (can the 2MOVE properly drive this?)
HD 25-1 II

Can't seem to find the ESW10JPN anywhere now. I read its a limited edition or something?

Do keep the suggestions coming!

And do help to give comparisons between those headphones shortlisted if you have heard them before! Thanks!

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 29
If you want closed 'phones be ready to make some compromise with airy presentation and relative small soundstage but if you are coming from iems you'll be alright.
Senn hd 25 1 is good choice if you plan to use them as portable , small , light, stealthy look and indestructible.Isolation is one of the best. Bass is very punchy , dosent overshadow rest of the spectrum, darker sounding with forward presentation. Denon has big soundstage for closed can but dosent isolate much , big and when you take them in your hand there is probability that you already scratch them-they are easy scratchable! Bass is deep and punchy but it isnt tight, little boomy but you have tons of mod to tame the bass if not satisfied. Shure srh840 is good phone with dry presentation for studio use but as portable they are big and heavy around 900g so it can be little uncomfortable.

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 29
Oh in that case, the Shures should get extra points for folding up and fitting into the included soft carry case. They also are built like a tank so they don't need a hard case
tongue.gif

The ESW10JPN is way, way out of your budget.

I'd probably not get the AT closed cans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure srh840 is good phone with dry presentation for studio use but as portable they are big and heavy around 900g so it can be little uncomfortable.

Wut?

Dry or not, it's better than Denon BOOM BOOM headshot.

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #11 of 29
haha ok now it seems like my top few choices for now would be:

K271 (Btw the K271s is the same as the K271 MKII right? The K271s doesn't seem to be on amazon anymore)
SRH840

Maybe the hd 25. I still have reservations if these portables are able to compare to full sized cans of the same price. Being portable is a plus but the major deciding factor will still be SQ/price for me. Hopefully jaben stocks this so i can try it out.

The K271 seems to have been quite well received and im currently leaning towards it. But im still concerned about whether the portable amps like the MOVE can drive it well?

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 29
Probably not. Plus, HF generates the hype machine pretty fast. I've read some pretty honest reviews of the K271s which were vastly different to what I normally read about it.

If you can try, do that! I wish I could
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #13 of 29
I ve used k271 in studio from mixer and they need power to bring out the bass which on moderate levels is little shy while the mids are great. They isolate unbelievable good its like deaf silence , need to drink a few beers before putting them on
beerchug.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 29
I would highly recommend the denons. I've gone through many closed cans (including dx1000s and edition 9s) but I keep coming back to denons in the end. D2000s are fantastic and can be modded to sound (and look, if that matters) amazing

edit: uh, to be more helpful, I would say denons have the cleanest sound among the phones you listed. They are pretty neutral for closed cans, with a bass tilt (not really bass bloat).

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #15 of 29
Even though they're gargantuan on the go, I recommend the a700. They're my portable right now, and I personally love their airy, mid-centric presentation. I can never figure out why people say the mids are recessed, because I find that to be on the polar contrary. The vocals are where they shine, IMO. Treble is detailed and sparkly, although it can get rather sibilant occasionally. The a700 is also bass light, however it balances nicely with the rest of the spectrum and fits the "mood" of the can. Don't take this to far out of context though--they definitely CAN have bass if you ask them to (and its HUGE), but it's "chameleon bass".

I can't figure out why people don't really like them much, but I do. They're a great headphone and they're driven nicely out of anything, but are better with amplification, just like any other headphone of the class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back