Recommend me closed, <$200 cans.
May 31, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #16 of 32
Thanks for all the helpful advice! I'm after reading a lot of reviews and as of right now the HFI-780s' are looking better than everything else with the DT-770s' in second. The portability and how it doesn't "need" an amp seems to have me sold. Still open for suggestions though.

Thanks again!

May 31, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRIS7509 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like my AKG's 271, got them for $120 new here in US but i see them more for about 140-150.

2nded

these sound great

May 31, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #18 of 32
I would try to find some Ultrasone Proline 550/DJ1 Pro for under $200. You can fine them occasionally in the FS section of the forum for a good price. They are more balanced than HFI series, but still have great deep and punchy bass and sweet mids. AKG K271 is also great, but requires an amp and may sound too boring for many people with it's flat sound sig.

May 31, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeltedChalk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the helpful advice! I'm after reading a lot of reviews and as of right now the HFI-780s' are looking better than everything else with the DT-770s' in second. The portability and how it doesn't "need" an amp seems to have me sold. Still open for suggestions though.

Thanks again!

Hey...I would recommend the Ultrasone 780s as well. I literally JUST got a pair of these in last week and am in LOVE with them so far. Was caught between the ATH 700 and the Ultrasone. Never heard the 700 but I'm completely thrilled with the 780s. I'm not audophile (but I'm working my way there) and this is my first pair of high-end headphones. I found them on Amazon for 200 exact with shipping 215 (but they are back up to 230 now for some reason). Anyways, good luck and happy listening.

Cheers

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2nded

these sound great

But keep in mind he wants big bass.
K271s have great bass, but not boomy.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeltedChalk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks again!

The DT770 '05 and HFI-780 have very different sound signatures. You should do some research and figure out which would better suit your tastes.

If you want big bass, I doubt DT770 '05s would do it for you. DT770/80s, maybe.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by samspotting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dt 770 pro 80 ohms.

Second that. I love the Beyerdynamics. There big closed phones and love the sound with my simple cmoy. I bought them at guitar centre in Seatle cause I could not find the locally in Vancouver. They were on for $160. Lots of places should sell them to you online because they dont have the same distributor agreements that grado does which sets the prices so high in canada. There is a picture in this post

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #24 of 32
I just want to chime in that I've been listening a lot lately to the HFI 780 and 580 as I'm really indecisive on what to get. The 780 sounds really good if you're into crisp sound. It's lacking on bass, but it's definitely (as advertised on Ultrasone website) meant for clearer crisp sound. The highs specifically high hats really shine on this. They sound very clean.

The HFI 580 (as advertised on Ultrasone website) has more of a punchy feel. There's significantly more bass and thump to these. They dont sound as crisp as the HFI 780. However the HFI 580 sounds more fun to me since it's a little more bassy. For the alternative rock songs that I listened to, they all sound more full. On the other hand, the 780 sounds more like you're at a concert hall where every instrument is mic'd.

So pick your phones. Do you want clearer individual sounds? THen go for the HFI-780. Do you want a more wholesome sound with a lot of bump? Then go for the HFI-580. Can't go wrong with either of them.

p.s. my 2g ipod nano was able to drive them well at 50% volume for the 580 and 65% volume for the 780. Obviously with amps, it sounds subjectively better.

p.s.s you could also wait for the Shure 844s to come out in the upcoming months to see how they compare to the rest of the < $200 cans.

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #25 of 32
I just want to chime in that I've been listening a lot lately to the HFI 780 and 580 as I'm really indecisive on what to get. The 780 sounds really good if you're into crisp sound. It's lacking on bass, but it's definitely (as advertised on Ultrasone website) meant for clearer crisp sound. The highs specifically high hats really shine on this. They sound very clean.

The HFI 580 (as advertised on Ultrasone website) has more of a punchy feel. There's significantly more bass and thump to these. They dont sound as crisp as the HFI 780. However the HFI 580 sounds more fun to me since it's a little more bassy. For the alternative rock songs that I listened to, they all sound more full. On the other hand, the 780 sounds more like you're at a concert hall where every instrument is mic'd.

So pick your phones. Do you want clearer individual sounds? THen go for the HFI-780. Do you want a more wholesome sound with a lot of bump? Then go for the HFI-580. Can't go wrong with either of them.

p.s. my 2g ipod nano was able to drive them well at 50% volume for the 580 and 65% volume for the 780. Obviously with amps, it sounds subjectively better.

p.s.s you could also wait for the Shure 844s to come out in the upcoming months to see how they compare to the rest of the < $200 cans.

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #27 of 32
Still looking. I would have thrown 200 at the ultrasones' but I can't find a reliable source with them at <$200. I also took a good look at the d2000(no isolation), D770s'(overall just bad reviews/opposite sound signature that I'm looking for), K271s(neutral reviews and bad signature). I've also looked at some not so popular headphones and am turned away by the lack of reviews.

Just about everything about the Ultrasones' seem to suit me perfectly(aside from the flimsy build), but I can't get them for a decent price that ships to Canada anywhere. Everything else doesn't seem right. Any ideas?

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by amc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Second that. I love the Beyerdynamics. There big closed phones and love the sound with my simple cmoy. I bought them at guitar centre in Seatle cause I could not find the locally in Vancouver. They were on for $160. Lots of places should sell them to you online because they dont have the same distributor agreements that grado does which sets the prices so high in canada. There is a picture in this post

They'll possibly have too much bass for him.

I like DT-250's for a more polite but still potentially bassy headphone.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #29 of 32
I really like my HFI-580s. I haven't listened to the 780s for comparison, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back