Recommend me cans! specs inside :)
May 12, 2010 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

brianlg

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I've been doing research non stop for about 3 weeks now trying to determine which headphones would be the best bet for me. I was trying to avoid making another recommendation thread, but I cannot make up my mind.

Situation: I listen to mostly 3 genres of music: Hip Hop, Electronic (include Post Rock), and Rock (including a lot of acoustic folk). I have had problems finding headphones that are mentioned as being good in all three areas. I was honestly considering buying the studio beats by dres (regardless of all the hatred), but I realize there are some amazing options out there. I am not looking for HUGE overwhelming bass either, I want the music to sound how it's supposed to- but if a song has a lot of bass, I want to be able to feel/hear it. 

Part 2: I am looking for the best pair under $300. Also, I DO NOT want to purchase an amp. I want phones I can plug straight into my iMac and iPhone and they are ready to go. I realize that the amps will produce better sound, but I do not have the money to purchase good cans and a good amp. I'm going into my 5th year of college, and money isn't handed to me dammit :frowning2:.

Conclusion: Great sound for Hip Hop, Electronic, Rock. Under or equivalent to $300. No amp needed.

Aesthetics would be nice as well, some of these headphones are straight repulsive looking. (This is one of the main reasons I was attracted to the Beats by Dre.)

Thanks guys and gals!

May 12, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 29
I have similar musical tastes and the Denon D2000 has been kind to me so far. I have an amp now but they sounded fine right of my iMac and iPhone 3G. In fact I did part of my break-in on an iPod Mini and even on those they sounded pretty decent. They aren't particularly portable though.

May 13, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 29
from my experience, $150 headphone + $150 amp can sound better than $300 headphone

but, if you still want to unamp, looks at grado line up, they're not hard to drive (but good amps will make them sound better indeed)

May 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 29
Denon D2000 or Ultrasone (HFI series or Pro 750) do very well with electronic and bass heavy music. Denons also do well with rock if you eq them in the midrange a bit.

May 13, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 29
Some feel the bass is overpowering and the highs are too harsh. When I tried burned in HFI-780's and Pro 750's I didn't have this problem though. Though the 780's did have a lot of bass (the most of any can I've heard so far). I can see how some would say it would be too much. I've heard the 580's and 680's don't suffer as much from these problems though. That being said I'd definitely recommend the Pro 750 over the 780's, which I found to be all around more refined. IMHO for trance and bass heavy music they are really hard to beat. It really depends on what type of sound sig you like though. FWIR most either love or hate the sound.

May 14, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #11 of 29
Here is a list of Ultrasone dealers in the US http://www.ultrasone.com/index_en.php?level=1&CatID=14&inhalt_id=14&do=land&cont=2&land=8&art=1 I'm sure if you can find one close enough to you they'd let you try them out. Guitar Center usually has a decent selection with some lower end sones. I know they have Shure 840's, Audio Technica M50's, and Beyerdynamic DT770's. It should give you a rough idea of what type of sound you like but of course if you can find a good hi-fi/headphone store near you that would be better.

May 14, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #12 of 29
Check the For Sale sections for good deals on headphones. I assume you'll also use it as a portable, so look for a closed headphone. I'd read into the Audio Technica ESW9 if I where you, based on loving my ESW10.

May 14, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 29

Quote:
Here is a list of Ultrasone dealers in the US http://www.ultrasone.com/index_en.php?level=1&CatID=14&inhalt_id=14&do=land&cont=2&land=8&art=1 I'm sure if you can find one close enough to you they'd let you try them out. Guitar Center usually has a decent selection with some lower end sones. I know they have Shure 840's, Audio Technica M50's, and Beyerdynamic DT770's. It should give you a rough idea of what type of sound you like but of course if you can find a good hi-fi/headphone store near you that would be better.

Thanks for that link, very helpful! Right now I'm thinking either the Ultrasone 780's or the Studio Beats by Dre.. I have a relative that works at Best Buy, I can get the Studios for around $200, and the 780's look to be in that range as well. Would there be a huge difference between the quality in these two since I'm not amping them?

May 14, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 29
@NapalmK, thanks for that link.. very helpful! 

Right now I'm pretty much down to the Ultrasone HFI 780's or the Studio Beats by Dre. I have a relative who works at Best Buy and can get the studios for around $200, and the 780's are around the same price. Would there be a huge quality difference between the two since I am not using an amp? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back