Recommend me an amp!
Dec 27, 2010 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fatslob222

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Just a quick thread. I'm new to audiophile grade amps, and I don't really follow them much.

I'd class myself as an enthusiast, being a DJ as a hobby at various parties. As you can imagine, I love my music.

When I am at home, I generally have my cheapie behringer UCA222 hooked up to my PC whenever I am listening to music, via my headphones.

I use sennheiser HD280 headphones. They're not too flash, but they're sure as hell not cheap. I have noticed that the power in which my DAC outputs really doesn't have the grunt, or kick that I need it. I often run it at 100% volume, and I still don't get enough power to my cans, during certain songs.

Therefore, I'd really like a hand on building my own amp. I'd like something that is powered by a transformer, or even better, USB. I'm not bothered by whether it is tube, or whatnot, but I'd like to spend around 100$, and hopefully not more on the whole thing.

As long as it helps me send myself deaf quicker, I'd probably say it's good enough. I like warm sound, and deep bass being really into club/electro sorta music and hip hop, so any amp that can bring out that would be appreciated.

In short:
Have a DAC, but I need more grunt.
Amp should be USB/Wall powered.
Around 100$.
Good for bass.
Using HD280s.

Cheers,
fatslob222

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 7
I'd suggest that you try building a Mini³ by AMB. You can buy it as a kit from glass jar audio or put together the kit yourself. Check out amb.org to find out more info. It shouldn't cost more than $100 to build. You will have to have soldering iron, solder, desoldering wick, flux, good tweezers, and some other minor accessories to complete this or any DIY project.

If you want to build your own DAC that matches up quite well with the Mini³ then try the Gamma-1, also designed by AMB. I believe I built one for around $140.

The Mini³ is 9V or wall powered. The Gamma-1 is either USB or wall powered.

Hope that helps.

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 7
Mini3 or a CMOY.

You'll learn alot more if you build a CMOY, but the Mini3 is better and easier.

On the other hand, you could also build a CMOYBB (BB is for bass boost)..
Since you sound like you're a basshead

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 7
here was my diy path.. 
cmoyBB x3--->mini3--->Millet Starving Student--->gamma2--->ck2III--->sohaII---->Bijou--->B22--->dyanlo/dynahi 
started in January this year lol:)  
I'd go for a ck2III as your next build if you want a desktop amp that is also significantly better than cmoy or mini3...

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
here was my diy path.. 
cmoyBB x3--->mini3--->Millet Starving Student--->gamma2--->ck2III--->sohaII---->Bijou--->B22--->dyanlo/dynahi 
started in January this year lol:)  
I'd go for a ck2III as your next build if you want a desktop amp that is also significantly better than cmoy or mini3...

What are you going to do next year? 
smily_headphones1.gif

X2 on what Particleman14 said about the CK2III, it would be a good next step, close to the M3 in sound, but costing about $100 less to build (at around $150..)..

I've started building a CK2III and a Panda (check out the threads on Rock Grotto) to see how they compare, and also have a 3 channel B22 that I'm finishing for a friend( he bought some of it partially built but doesn't have the DIY skills) to go along with a Buffalo II I built for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back