Recommend me an amp for my SR125's to work with my MacBook!
Dec 27, 2008 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

UncleDavid218

100+ Head-Fier
So I've decided on the Grado SR125's for use with classical music on my MacBook (new 2.4GHz aluminum).

I've read the stickys and I know that these are not the most amp dependent headphones on the planet, but that obviously one is recommended.

Keep in mind my experience with audio consists of Logitech and Creative speakers.

Anyway, with the SR125's would you guys recommend an amp/DAC? I've been looking at the iBasso D2 Boa Silver. It looks like a good value for an amp/DAC at around $180 shipped.

I would like to keep things under that $180 mark if possible. I can go with something that's not so portable.

Edit: If I don't end up getting an amp right now, I will purchase one later. If not getting an amp now I'd be able to get the Grado SR-225 or SR-325i. I'm desperate as I need better phones.

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 6
Wait, did you get the Grados yet? If you listen mainly to classical music, I so would have chosen a good AKG or Sennheiser 'phone instead.

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 6
Dec 27, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, did you get the Grados yet? If you listen mainly to classical music, I so would have chosen a good AKG or Sennheiser 'phone instead.

No, I haven't. All of my reading has shown the Grados to be excellent. What AKGs are you specifically referring to, the K701s? Would those work fine without an amp temporarily?

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 6
For fun yesterday I was switching between my 125s and my 701s. Wow what a difference! I never realized how thin and "bright" the 125s sounded particularly on classical music. Obviously different price points but I would listen to some other phones first. My son's 325s are much better than the 125s, but again much different price point.

By the way I run mine with either an RSA P-51 (just acquired still burning in) or an old Headroom Airhead.

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 6
From what I've read the AKGs are particularly demanding, amp-wise. I'd stick with the Grados myself and move up to the 225s for a start. Or, alternately, try out the SR-80s to make sure that the sound is to your taste. I started with those and moved straight to the RS-1s afterward, and both sound excellent straight out of my Macbook Pro. Of course they sound a bit better with an amp, but they're no slouches straight out of the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back