Recommend me an amp for HD-650's <$300? Could be used for mixing also.
Apr 20, 2015 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JLiRD808

New Head-Fier
As the title says. Would like an amp that is flat/neutral and uncolored to power these HD-650's. At times I would also like to use it for audio post - production, etc

If it has a separate preamp output with gain control, even better.

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 5
As the title says. Would like an amp that is flat/neutral and uncolored to power these HD-650's. At times I would also like to use it for audio post - production, etc

If it has a separate preamp output with gain control, even better.

Thanks!

Schiit Magni Uber has preamp outs, a gain switch, and plenty of power for almost any headphone. You might want to get a DAC with it, like the Modi, but that's your choice.
Little Dot has some inexpensive tube amps that let you roll the sound with different tubes if you want, but the less expensive models don't have preamp outs I don't think.

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 5
+1

The Magni 2 Uber coupled with the Modi 2 is a good option. Also consider the Audio-GD NFB-15 which is one unit with DAC/headphone amp/pre-amp capability.

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 5
I'm leaning towards the Magni 2 Uber or the Asgard 2--having trouble discerning the reason for the $100 difference though. Has this been discussed already here on Hi-Fi lol?

How about the Fiio E9? I see lots of threads where people are happy pairing it to their HD-600's. 

Looking for accuracy/neutrality most...

THANKS!! :)

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 5
The Asgard 2 is considered a bit better class of amp. Whether or not you would find that difference significant, only you could judge. The Magni 2 Uber would have not problem powering the HD650s and has the pre-amp and gain control options you seek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back