Recommend me an AMP/DAC for the DT 880 (250 ohm)
Sep 26, 2016 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Zouka

New Head-Fier
Hello all

Thinking of getting the DT 880 (250 ohm version) and wondering what AMP I should pair it with?

Amazon is showing that the DT 880 is frequently bought with the FiiO E10K. Is this AMP good enough?

I'm trying to not spend that much (ideally <$200) since this will be my first AMP purchase. 

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 10
  Thinking of getting the DT 880 (250 ohm version) and wondering what AMP I should pair it with?
Amazon is showing that the DT 880 is frequently bought with the FiiO E10K. Is this AMP good enough?
I'm trying to not spend that much (ideally <$200) since this will be my first AMP purchase. 

Schiit Fulla ($90), USB-DAC/amp.
More powerful headphone amplifier.

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 10

For just a little bit more than the price of the E10K you can get the Pangea HP101. Works well with my HD600, a little tube hum but you'd be deaf soon if you listen at the level where it's present. It runs off its own power supply rather than USB, USB DAC is compatible with my Note3 (and presumably many other Androids; works without a hitch compared to Windows 7), and Class A discrete output stage. The only real downside is that the tube mounting systems isn't easily accessible, so don't get it for tube rolling - just replace the tube when it wears out. Maybe buy two tubes so if you don't like one you have a tube identical to the original tube.

https://www.amazon.com/Pangea-Audio-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00TA6Z8XY

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions, all.

Any thoughts on the FiiO E12?

https://www.amazon.com/E12-Rechargeable-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00B6QXWIY/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=98PHRNCWJT12ZHPWASW7

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #6 of 10
Would separates be okay with you? That way you can upgrade them individually down the track. Maybe  Schiit Modi2/Magni2 combo for $200? Even better I would suggest buying used so you can save cash. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is HPamp id you don't mind asking?

Headphone amplifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

​Also from what I see apparently the  FiiO E12 is amp only. So I assume I'm going to need to buy a DAC separately in case I get it? 

That depends on what source you're using. If it has a decent DAC and analogue output stage then that's just another piece on the stack that you don't need, and even if you did, that's a lot of devices to manage.

Also do you need it to be a battery-powered portable? Because if it's just for desktop use there are other choices for the same amount of money, not to mention the cables won't be snaking around from behind a source with its output on the back and then towards the front panel input on the E12. 

For example if you want a decent DAC, a desktop amp, and a good portable player, look into the Fiio X3II DAP (which functions as a USB DAC) and the Fiio K5 amplifier, which has a dock on top that you can dock the X3II into. Even the X1 works with it, and can be used as a USB DAC when docked on the K5. Either can power any in-ear monitor just fine, and the X3II can drive more fullsize headphones on its own.

Alternately there's the Pangea HP101 I posted previously - it comes with a 24/96-capable USB DAC (ie high resolution compatible), a 12AX7 tube preamp stage and a discrete Class A amplifier output stage.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #9 of 10
^

Cheers, the FiiO K5 looks sweet.

I don't care for portability, I will use the headphone on desktop/laptop mostly. I think I will get this one:

https://www.amazon.com/K5-Docking-Headphone-Amplifier-Titanium/dp/B01BBX1NNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474986249&sr=8-1&keywords=Fiio+K5

It says " Amplifier/DAC" so I assume this is all what I need?

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 10
It says " Amplifier/DAC" so I assume this is all what I need?

It does not have a DAC built in, it needs the Fiio X series players docked on it to function as a USB DAC. It has a USB-B input in the rear but that is mostly for cable management - signal goes in there then up into the docked Fiio player then back out its dock connector's analogue pins and back into the amplifier. You need to buy at least the X1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back