Recommend me a USB to optical S/PDIF device
May 18, 2010 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lipidicman

500+ Head-Fier
I would like a "USB to toslink S/PDIF" unit to connect a PC/laptop to a DAC (to be decided on still)

The DAC should up-sample and re-clock (I think, so jitter is less of a concern) so I want to go with optical for electrical isolation, but I do not mind having a choice of coax.

I'm hoping I don't need to drop too much cash on this.  In any case would it make much difference?  I'm only looking for 16 bit 44.1/48 kHz, straightforward and driver-less so it will work with XP and Ubuntu.  I would also like a product I can buy in the UK.

Are some of these units asynchronous now?  I know some DACs are but I'm thinking that this is not possible in a USB to S/PDIF convertor?

Ideas?  Thanks

May 18, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 5
I use a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II for optical SPDIF out to my DAC and use Debian Linux (pretty similar to Ubuntu). It worked out of the box with the version of ALSA I had installed and is bit perfect under Linux, at least (contrary to popular opinion it does NOT resample everything to 48khz). I paid $25 from Newegg. I don't have an XP machine so I can't tell you if it's bit perfect using OEM drivers, but I imagine it is based on what I've read from Benchmark regarding XP's USB drivers. Hope that helps.

Edit: And no, it is not asynchonous.

May 19, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 5
Upsampling is usually done in software or in the DAC.

Does it have to be optical if your DAC is still unchosen?  What about an RCA or BNC M2Tech Hiface?  (BNC preferred.  BNC M2Tech Hiface --> Little Dot DAC-I is a lovely combo)

May 19, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 5
I'm lusting after a Cyrus 8XPdQx to replace my failing speaker amp and have a one box dac and amp.
http://www.cyrusaudio.com/product.asp?ProductID=100&text=indetail

(I know the Cyrus has a USB input but from a dealer visit it identifies as a TI Burr Brown 2702 which has no digital out according to the data sheet and therefore does not access the the main DAC, although I could be wrong on this.  I have never had the chance to open one to check!)

Optical appeals for electrical isolation.  My thinking is the disadvantages of optical are somewhat overcome by the new upsampling and reclocking DACs

For now I can use the optical in my really old Sony Minidisc deck

Should I just pick up a transit and be done with it?

May 28, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 5
Excuse the bump but does anyone have any other suggestions?  Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back