Recommend me a USB DAC
Dec 5, 2010 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

foges

Head-Fier
I need a USB DAC that goes between my iMac (must therefore be OS X compatible) and my LD mk III. I read that the EMU0404 is good, but have also read that it is over priced if i only need it as a DAC, would also really love one that does not have a brick AC/DC converter. My main need is to remove a background hum that is really annoying me

Dec 5, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 12
Overpriced ? Hardly ...

[size=small]Digital to Analog Converters[/size]
  1. Weiss Engineering DAC202 $6,670
    Review (06/17/2010) | Site
  1. Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC $5,000
    Review (12/10/2008) | Site
  1. Weiss Engineering Minerva $5,000 (Replaced by DAC202 early 2010)
    Review (06/23/2008) | Site
  1. Bryston BDA-1 External DAC $1,995
    Review (10/26/2008) | Site
  1. Benchmark Media Systems DAC1 HDR $1,895
    Review (05/28/2009) | Site
  1. Wavelength Audio Proton $900
    Review (06/22/2009) | Site
  1. Ayre Acoustics QB-9 DAC $2,500
    Review (10/11/2009) | Site
  1. dCS Paganini DAC, Paganini Upsampler, Puccini U-Clock $17,999, $10,499, $4,999
    Review (12/08/2009) | Site

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Computer-Audiophile-Suggested-Hardware-List

Add up the numbers on the Puccini - I expect the freight alone on that rig would cost more than the shipped price of the EMU  :)

Dec 6, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 12
ok, so if i want a good quality DAC, you would recommend the EMU 0404?

Dec 6, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
I need a USB DAC that goes between my iMac (must therefore be OS X compatible) and my LD mk III. I read that the EMU0404 is good, but have also read that it is over priced if i only need it as a DAC, would also really love one that does not have a brick AC/DC converter. My main need is to remove a background hum that is really annoying me

Why do you want an USB DAC ? It there a built-in audio optical interface in all Apple computer since 2001...

You just have to get a mini-Toslink -> Toslink cable and connect it to your DAC then iMac...

There's less jitter and better sound with optical connection :)

What's your budget for the DAC ?

There's a Bunch of models available and it's hard to make a good choice without a budget in mind...

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 12
Well USB or Toslink doesn't really matter. If i get a USB powered one, then there will be one brick less attached to the power splitter thing though.

I've been doing a bit of reading up and I think ill get the hotaudio WOW dual (then i can test both USB and Optical), any other opinions though?

My budget is <200$

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaphifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you want an USB DAC ? It there a built-in audio optical interface in all Apple computer since 2001...

You just have to get a mini-Toslink -> Toslink cable and connect it to your DAC then iMac...

There's a Bunch of models available and it's hard to make a good choice without a budget in mind...

Friend, I dont know if its possible to be more misinformed than you are re. USB vs Toslink. Even IF the impact of jitter on audio devices is grossly overexaggerated, as many claim it is, suggesting that you will achieve 'less jitter and better sound with optical connection' flies directly in the face of everything written on this subject on boards like 'Computer Audiophile'. I suggest that you spend a little more time researching the subject before posting. USB, Toslink, optical coax and Firewire all have pros and cons, but 'reduced jitter' absolutely does not appear under anything headed 'Toslink' on any chart I've seen.

estreeter

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Well USB or Toslink doesn't really matter. If i get a USB powered one, then there will be one brick less attached to the power splitter thing though.

I've been doing a bit of reading up and I think ill get the hotaudio WOW dual (then i can test both USB and Optical), any other opinions though?

My budget is <200$

Look at one of the longest threads on this site.  Its full of people who are talking about the Valab Dac.  I don't think you can beat it for $200 in fact its hard to beat by many $1000 Dacs.  Sure its not the latest and greatest anymore, its not all that good looking but it sure does sound good.

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 12
I compared at one time the HRT MS2+ that I have to a Chameleon (supposed to be an upgraded valab, ain't it?) and there wasn't a clear winner for me.  The Chameleon sounded a bit dull and lifeless though it had better bass extension than my HRT.
The HRT has a nice sparkle to it's sound so it can accomodate certain headphones (my LCD-2 for example). 
Would definitly recommend it.
Here's my review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/high-resolution-technologies-the-music-streamer/reviews

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaphifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Friend, I dont know if its possible to be more misinformed than you are re. USB vs Toslink. Even IF the impact of jitter on audio devices is grossly overexaggerated, as many claim it is, suggesting that you will achieve 'less jitter and better sound with optical connection' flies directly in the face of everything written on this subject on boards like 'Computer Audiophile'. I suggest that you spend a little more time researching the subject before posting. USB, Toslink, optical coax and Firewire all have pros and cons, but 'reduced jitter' absolutely does not appear under anything headed 'Toslink' on any chart I've seen.

estreeter

I've tried 3 DAC directly on my iMac (Yulong DAH1, Audio GD DAC 19, Musiland SVDAC 05) all of them sound better through Optical than USB, i don't know if it's the same thing on PC, but on iMac optical output is very good, even when i set sound at 16 Bits / 44.1Khz, perhaps it's different with PC...

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
I compared at one time the HRT MS2+ that I have to a Chameleon (supposed to be an upgraded valab, ain't it?) and there wasn't a clear winner for me.  The Chameleon sounded a bit dull and lifeless though it had better bass extension than my HRT.
The HRT has a nice sparkle to it's sound so it can accomodate certain headphones (my LCD-2 for example). 
Would definitly recommend it.
Here's my review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/high-resolution-technologies-the-music-streamer/reviews

The Lavry is supposed to be a quantum leap from the Valab yet it sounded hard and lifeless.  Go Figure.....

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #11 of 12
I recommend the Wavelength Audio Proton. I have the Cosecant V2 and love the sound, however I would like to get the proton and forgo the power supply with little or no sound loss.

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
I recommend the Wavelength Audio Proton. I have the Cosecant V2 and love the sound, however I would like to get the proton and forgo the power supply with little or no sound loss.

Thats just an overpriced Valab

Users who are viewing this thread

Back