Recommend me a USB DAC/AMP - ~$100 - Classic
Sep 22, 2016 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

iLovPieNCake

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All

Can y'all recomend me a DAC or DAC/AMP combo or help me make up my mind. I will be primarily using this at work driving my In-Earz P350 CIEMs from my work laptop. Here are my target feature list

Wants (But don't need)
- Powerful enough to work with my ~64 ohm Fischer Audio FA-003
- Portability(Compact enough)
- Line Out (For my at home speaker setup)
- Android support (This would be a fun toy for my GS7)
- Sub-$100

Don't Want (But can live with)
- External Power

Possible Choices
- SMSL M2
- SMSL M3 - Could deal with it's size if needed
- NuForce uDAC3 - I like the looks and the I/O but is it still relevant??? No one recommends it anymore.
- FiiO Q1 - Don't like the form factor
- FiiO E18 - More of a portable DAC that can do computer duty
- FiiO E17K - Weird form factor, integrated EQ is a plus, I/O outputs are small and require me to get adapters
- FiiO E10K - Classic recommendation although supposedly sound output isn't as good as others.
- Schiit Fulla - My current #1 although it's only headphone out.
- ODAC - Don't want to pay the extra $50 so I would build it. 

Help me choose or recomend me something better.

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 11
Encore mDSD?

Can do coax through the 3.5 mm jack. Draws power through the USB, so no need to charge.

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 11
What will you be driving?

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 11
hi everyone
i am lurking this forums for quite some time for the information about some dac/amps for my setup, and now i finally registered here to get some more help from experts, since i never used or owned a DAC, only steelseries usb sound card which is my main sound source for like 5 - 6 years, and i am really satisfied with it, but i think that it's time to make some upgrades
i am using Kingston HyperX Cloud headset for almost 2 years now, you all know that hyperx clouds are re brand of takstar pro 80, so in some good /entry level headphone part, i am covered i think
i was never using onboard audio on my laptop...

this is my first post here on this forums, so i hope that it wouldn't be problem if i am joining this thread, since i am in the completely the same situation and quest, as the guy from the first post, even the possible solutions and DACs he was looking, was / are also on my what to buy list

so i am in a same situation as the guy which started the thread, only difference is that, i am not looking for something to be portable, only under 100$, since i will gonna use it with my desktop setup
headphones which i will be driving are Kingston HyperX Cloud 1 / Takstar Pro80

and also, what about HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2, it's also under 100$
is that also a viable option ??

thanks anyone who helped

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 11
iLovPieNCake, why do you need portability providing you are going to use it as a desktop unit at work?

Quote:
FiiO E18 - More of a portable DAC that can do computer duty

So, do you like it?

- FiiO E17K - Weird form factor, integrated EQ is a plus, I/O outputs are small and require me to get adapters

I've been using E7 for some time and I have to say it is quite handy. This is a classic form factor for portable FiiO products.
Then only thing I would complain about is micro USB ports - they can wear out and can have connetivity issues. Be aware of that.

Which adapter do you have in mind?

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 11
Sounds like e18 might be what you want if Android support is important. I think most of them will work with Android, but others might require some sort of external power source or USB hub.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 11
Roen, why do you need portability providing you are going to use it as a desktop unit at work?

So, do you like it?

I've been using E7 for some time and I have to say it is quite handy. This is a classic form factor for portable FiiO products.
Then only thing I would complain about is micro USB ports - they can wear out and can have connetivity issues. Be aware of that.

Which adapter do you have in mind?
I'm not the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back