Recommend me a System
May 4, 2004 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jiesteve

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new system upgrade. What's the best I can get system (source+amp+headphone) combo I can get for ~1K USD?

Right now I have Beyer DT250-80's and a META42 portable amp. I'm looking for closed headphones (I work in a cubicle, don't want officemates to hear what I'm listening) and a plug-in amp. As for the source, I'm thinking about getting a SACD source.

Thanks in advance!

May 4, 2004 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 10
You could try what i'm going for - CD3000 with PPA and AOS DAC daughterboard. Price would be in the $1000 regions (I don't have all the prices on hand so I can't add it up). The CD3Ks are fine for an office, they're more open than closed but they work ok for me. This would be a nice upgrade for you. Figure $375 for the CD3Ks, $660 for the PPA, $20 for the cable = $1055. With a Piccolo instead of the PPA DAC figure $975, and it'd be more flexible (it costs $250).

For more isolation you could go for A900 ($200) + Pimeta/PPA ($200/$350). A usb source or something like a piccalo might work well. I don't know if the A900 would be much of an upgrade though.

The other reasonable closed cans are the AKG271 ($150), but again, not really a step up from the Beyers, they're more a side step.

Edit - added prices

May 4, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 10
Commando -- Where are you buying your CD3000's from .. Cheapest I found was ~ 392 for them. Any pointers would be appreciated.

May 4, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 10
Source : Sony DVP-NC555ES
AMP : DIY PPA / Singlepower PPX3
Cans : Sennheiser HD650 / Grado SR 225 or both
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 4, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 10
You can get them the CD3000 at etronics.com, they are out of stock, but that was the place that I bought them from.

May 4, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 10
if you don't mind going computer audio, I would suggest buying an m-audio transit and jpelg's benchmark dac1.

No sacd, but top quality redbook + ease of computer storage(or just play cds from the drive) for ~800.

Unless you buy the cd3k, any other closed phones would be more of a lateral transfer than a true upgrade. Also, I wouldn't even consider the cd3k a closed phone in terms of isolation. They don't leak as much sound as an open designed phone, but I could hear background office noises(eg talking, typing, other sharp sounds) just as much as with my senn hd650.

Personally, I would take the 650s over cd3k for extended listening sessions any day of the week. The treble energy would really get to me after an hour or so, even with a ppa/627 combo.

May 4, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rajs
Commando -- Where are you buying your CD3000's from .. Cheapest I found was ~ 392 for them. Any pointers would be appreciated.

You can find low prices by using http://froogle.google.com

Like someone else pointed out and I probably said above, it doesn't have much isolation, it's probably more an open phone than closed.

May 5, 2004 at 9:29 AM Post #8 of 10
For me the best way is this:

Get a SACD/CD digital source such as Sony XB-7x0QS (I own it and it is a an audiophile level player with great detail) and acquire a used SR303 Stax electrostatic combo.

This way you'll go almost to the end of the line and stop worrying so much if future headphone upgrades will vastly improve your system.

May 5, 2004 at 9:52 AM Post #9 of 10
I second raif's suggestion of a computer-based office system; my secondary system may not sound as good as my CD-based one, but the ease of use makes me listen to my computer more.

[shameless plug]

Coincidentally, I have a HD650 for sale and unless you listen to music at loud volumes, sound leakage should not be a problem.

[/shameless plug]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back