Recommend me a sports car
Aug 20, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #16 of 71
Aug 20, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #17 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ooztuncer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, new targets:

95 300zx, $6700, 78k: http://maine.craigslist.org/car/395761208.html

00 miata, $6500, 117k: http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/car/400675992.html or for more pics: http://24.128.75.10/

99 miata, $7300, 71k: http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/car/398976428.html

I will try to check the 300zx by Wednesday - hopefully no-one already bought it. I sent an e-mail to the owner last week and he told me that someone was going to check it... Lady luck!

Keep in mind the basic differences between the two cars. Both are going to be fun to drive. The Z is much heavier and more powerful. I moves away from pure sports car category into more of a "touring" car. It's going to be roomier, quieter, a better highway cruiser.

The Miata is lighter, more nimble, less polished a bit, but more in the tradition of a true minimalist sports car. If you want something to have a blast with on the twisties, the Miata should be more fun than a barrel of monkeys. The Mazda will probably have a little less to go wrong with it as well, but they are both good reliable cars for this "sporting" category.

A BMW 3 series would also be a great deal of fun to drive, but the maintenance would be higher.

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #18 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 924/944 is going to be a beast. There is a very good reason they sell for $1000-2000. Also you'd be buying a "sports car" with less HP than a Saturn Ion.

I'd get a used Miata also.

The 914/924/944 were probably the worst cars Porsche has ever made. Their best are incredible fun to drive, but not the aforementioned models.

The present day Boxter and Caymen models are so much more refined, there's no comparison.

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #19 of 71
I owned a 1998 MR2 GTS non-turbo for six months and it was an amazing car. Not a thing went wrong with it and it was a truly fantastic driver's car.

Get one of those!

Edit: The 300ZX won't be able to touch it through the corners!

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #22 of 71
There are other things to consider here.

Do you want 2 or 4 seats?
Is gas mileage a factor?
Insurance premiums
Will you ever need to carry anything big (even golf clubs)?
Do you like to drive a stick or auto?
Daily driver or weekend toy?
I see you live in Maine so wet/snow weather driving characteristics (front, rear, or all wheel drive?)

Don't want you to buy something that will not work for your situation.

Aug 20, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #23 of 71
I bought my 97 Miata for 8K 3 years ago.The only thing I've had to replace since then are the wiper blades! I get it serviced in the spring and then another oil change in the fall and (so far) it runs like a dream. Fun to drive too and easy on the gas...
However it is awful in snowy/icy weather, so it stays in the garage all winter long, so looking at where you are coming from you'll need a back-up plan for those long North-eastern winter months. Mine's a F150 truck!
Good luck !

Aug 20, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #25 of 71
What sports car? Easy. TVR.

Aug 20, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #27 of 71
@tonym > can you show me several TVR's for sale around Portland, ME or boston area? Even on ebay, there are 3 TVR's nationwide. So no, I am not going that way for sure - thanks for the suggestion though.

@ kelvin and nacmac:
Do you want 2 or 4 seats? >> 2 is OK, i am not against 4 though

Is gas mileage a factor? >> no

Insurance premiums >> partly no (naturally I want to pay as little as possible. I have 0 speed tickets or accidents in my driving history in USA - in europe I had to surrender my license for 6 months)

Will you ever need to carry anything big (even golf clubs)? >> sometimes but not necessarily. I can use my 90' protege for those things.

Do you like to drive a stick or auto? >> Really doesn't matter, prefer stick though especially in Maine's winter times
smily_headphones1.gif

Daily driver or weekend toy? >> Daily drive, however I put around 7k per year - less than some people's weekend toy!

I see you live in Maine so wet/snow weather driving characteristics (front, rear, or all wheel drive?) >> I will drive this car in the winter too. I am good at driving in bad weather conditions, however I don't want to spin or hit the curb every day!

Thanks again guys for all the opinions/posts...

EDIT: PLEASE stick with my OP when making suggestions which is 'UP to $7k sports car' - so no ferrari's - OK?

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #28 of 71
The fact that you live in Maine complicates things a little bit - under other circumstances, the Miata would be a natural choice, but an RWD soft-top convertible in the wintertime in Maine would not be so great. I'd be looking at simpler sporty cars with good aftermarket support and cheap parts. The Fox-body Mustang fills that bill nicely, as would a comparable vintage Chevy Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Also look at the following cars (not sports cars necessary, but small, fairly sporty, and nimble, which makes for lots of driving fun). NB: If you see a list of modifications or remnants of modifications, walk away from that deal, because that car has been beat on.
Nissan Sentra SE-R (of the boxy generation)
Nissan 240SX
Toyota MR2
Honda Civic Si (92-95 hatch, or a later year coupe)
Honda Prelude - you'll be looking at the 92-96 generation, although a 97 or 98 might just squeeze under your price requirement if you're lucky. I own a 2000 Prelude, and it has given me thousands upon thousands of happy, trouble-free miles (not to mention a few autocrosses!). If you end up going for the 92-96 style, make sure it has the VTEC engine.
VW Golf/GTI with 1.8t engine (although not sure if this will meet your price requirement)

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #29 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The present day Boxter and Caymen models are so much more refined, there's no comparison.

Oh no doubt, I think the Boxster S/ Cayman S are the finest Porsches ever made, save the current liquid-cooled 997 Turbo. (Yes, I like the Cayman S more than any previous 911, 964, 993 or 996)

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #30 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ooztuncer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: PLEASE stick with my OP when making suggestions which is 'UP to $7k sports car' - so no ferrari's - OK?

I saw a Lamborghini Diablo in the paper once for $50, seems this guy was cheating on his wife .......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back