Recommend me a Speaker Amp...
Feb 18, 2015 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Genjisleeps

100+ Head-Fier
I just found out that theres a different amp between headphones and speakers. I was planning on getting the Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2 but now I found out I need to get one for the the speaker I'm planning on getting. Which ones are good but not too expensive?

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 25
  I just found out that theres a different amp between headphones and speakers. I was planning on getting the Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2 but now I found out I need to get one for the the speaker I'm planning on getting. Which ones are good but not too expensive?

How much are you willing to spend, and how much space do you have? If you have enough space (where the amps are going to be, as well as a larger room to listen in), you can get a more conventional size dedicated power amplifier (smaller dedicated power amps tend to be very expensive, or DIY kits). They're easy enough to find on eBay - just search for brands like NAD, Rotel, Quad, etc, plus "power amplifier." You can get a decent one for as low as $150, although I think Emotiva might have a good one for $299 or $399 (their site isn't loading right now so I can't check).

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 25
If you don't have much money the main options are small class d t-amp from china like topping, smsl etc.  or if you have plenty of space get a cheap receiver instead

here's a t-amp  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NBGECXG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d9_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-5&pf_rd_r=197G8BD9WPJ0SPJBR69X&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970567562&pf_rd_i=desktop

the cheapest real speaker amp will be ones from emotiva, that would be the next step up

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 25

How much are you willing to spend, and how much space do you have? If you have enough space (where the amps are going to be, as well as a larger room to listen in), you can get a more conventional size dedicated power amplifier (smaller dedicated power amps tend to be very expensive, or DIY kits). They're easy enough to find on eBay - just search for brands like NAD, Rotel, Quad, etc, plus "power amplifier." You can get a decent one for as low as $150, although I think Emotiva might have a good one for $299 or $399 (their site isn't loading right now so I can't check).

I have like $220 - $300 as my budget. And heres a picture of my space I can put it in. And as for my speakers I was planning on getting these monoprice studio speakers but while doing research i found these KRK Rokit 5" speakers. Oh and tell me about this Lepai LP-2020A+?

http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/rokit/rokit-5.html#

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 25
  I have like $220 - $300 as my budget...And as for my speakers I was planning on getting these monoprice studio speakers but while doing research i found these KRK Rokit 5" speakers. Oh and tell me about this Lepai LP-2020A+?

http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/rokit/rokit-5.html#

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2

Both of those speakers are active speakers, meaning they already have amplifiers built into their cabinets, just like computer speakers. You don't need a separate amplifier to drive those - you just need a preamp output from your DAC, DAC-HPamp, or HPamp.

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 25
  you just need a preamp output from your DAC, DAC-HPamp, or HPamp.

Oh ok again I'm new...lol I'll just get the KRK speaker. what do you mean by this statement?

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 25
he means you just need to plug an rca or xlr cable from something that has a variable output rca jack on the back and a volume knob to adjust the volume from the rca jack, like a headphone amp that has preamp output, i.e. schiit magni uber or asgard.  the rca jack just supplies the audio signal, no amplified power.  and you need it to be a preamp out, which means variable level, so you can use the knob to control the volume.

the Lepai LP-2020A+ is literally the worst amplifier that exists.  but it's also the cheapest

if it was a car it would be this car, except it runs

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #8 of 25
  Oh ok again I'm new...lol I'll just get the KRK speaker. what do you mean by this statement?

This is what the speaker output on a speaker amplifier looks like:

This is what the preamp output on an amp looks like (none on this one, but uses the same sockets):

This is what the inputs on a passive speaker looks like:

This is what inputs on an active speaker looks like:

Now, just by looking at those, what do you think can be hooked up with what?

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 25

This is what the speaker output on a speaker amplifier looks like:

This is what the preamp output on an amp looks like (none on this one, but uses the same sockets):

This is what the inputs on a passive speaker looks like:

This is what inputs on an active speaker looks like:

Now, just by looking at those, what do you think can be hooked up with what?

OK so I just need to plug in a RCA cable and a TRS cable in a balance and unbalanced plugs and get them through the preamp output of the schiit magni 2 I'm planning on getting. ok thx guys...

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #10 of 25
  OK so I just need to plug in a RCA cable and a TRS cable in a balance and unbalanced plugs and get them through the preamp output of the schiit magni 2 I'm planning on getting. ok thx guys...

You only need the RCA cable or the TRS. Not both.

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 25
Feb 23, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #15 of 25
Hey guys one more thing would I need to get the Modi 2 Uber? I'm going though everything and It seems I don't need it. My turntable doesn't need it. I'm just wondering if i need it to amp up my speaker ----> computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back