Recommend me a Setup! (Under $600)
Nov 15, 2017 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jedy617

Head-Fier
So, here is my headphone history. AKG K550, ATH-MSR7, Senn HD598, Senn Momentum 2.0 over ear. (The 2 senns are what I'm rocking now). I love my sennheisers but I'm looking for something a little different, something more interesting. I want a really fun pair of headphones, something that packs a lot of punch and has plenty of detail if that makes sense. Just something really impactful.

Was thinking of the Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00, or maybe HD650's + an AMP/DAC? I mainly listen on spotify premium, and my Note8 when I have to, don't necessarily mind something a bit more portable.

Any recommendations for my needs? Either just a set of cans or a set+amp/dac under $600?

Thanks!

Nov 15, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 15
My recommendation would be to get the modi 2 + magni 3. They're excellent products, and if you decide to upgrade, they're very easy to resell.

As for headphones, you can't go wrong with the TH-X00 if you're looking for a fun headphone that doesn't break the bank. It holds its own against the TH-900, which costs 3 times as much.

Some other fun headphones you can consider are the Fidelio X2 and the Audioquest Nighthawk. All 3 of these headphones can be had for less than $300, and they each have their own strengths.

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 15
I would stay away from the HD650. While I love them and they're great headphones, it seems they're just not what you are looking for. They have good detail but are not exactly categorized as being fun and packing a lot of punch.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 15
Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 15
A used Astell&Kern AK100 or AK Jr as your source/amp. Etymotic ER4-XR, then never look at head-fi again.

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 15
Ok I grabbed a set of Fostex TH-X00. Am I good with just buying an amp or do I need a DAC too? Wanna spend the least amount of money possible. Schitt fulla 2, magni 3, or save up for a magni and modi? Thanks.

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #13 of 15
I'm running a new alienware so that should mean that I should be ok dac wise for something like this right? Or is a nicer dac really necessary? Oh btw forgot I have Zorloo ZuperDac usb DAC/AMP, so maybe that will suffice for now?

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #14 of 15
So, here is my headphone history. AKG K550, ATH-MSR7, Senn HD598, Senn Momentum 2.0 over ear. (The 2 senns are what I'm rocking now). I love my sennheisers but I'm looking for something a little different, something more interesting. I want a really fun pair of headphones, something that packs a lot of punch and has plenty of detail if that makes sense. Just something really impactful.

Was thinking of the Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00, or maybe HD650's + an AMP/DAC? I mainly listen on spotify premium, and my Note8 when I have to, don't necessarily mind something a bit more portable.

Any recommendations for my needs? Either just a set of cans or a set+amp/dac under $600?

Thanks!

iFi iDSD Nano Black Label DAC/headphone amp
Monoprice M1060 planar magnetic headphones

The iDSD brings way more functionality than you need to simply decode and amp from streaming services, say via a smartphone, but it will sound amazing doing just what you want, and offer flexibility for the day you might wanna get your feet wet with the rest of us audio'loons' and try out high-rez digital downloads, DSD recorded/encoded music, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back