recommend me a setup <$300
Jun 12, 2004 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

slug

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all.

Looks like reading this forum has, like most of you, made me realize that upgrading my audio setup will make my life better.

While I realize $300 (more or less) isn't much... can any of you recommend what you would do with that amount? I would be primarily using this setup with a 3G 15gig ipod. The music I listen to is fairly diverse but as a sample of what I tend to listen to: indie rock (modest mouse, broken social scene, dismemberment plan), classic rock (pink floyd, zeppelin, petty), stuff like ani difranco, sarah harmer etc, and I do enjoy some "harder rock" stuff... particularly Tool.

With that $300 it could be just the best headphones for that amount unamped, or a combination of headphone and amp. I would mostly be using this setup at work and the headphone being closed or open is not really a big deal... just whatever sounds best. Thanks for any advice!

Jun 12, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 11
I know others will jump in, but I think Grado is probably your best bet. It sounds pretty good without an amp. I use my Grado for most of dedicated rock listening. Look for Grado SR225 or SR325.

Jun 12, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 11
I'll second the Grado suggestion, they can definately rock. I don't know how this would work, but if you could go a bit over $200 you could get an Alessandro MS1 and Gilmore Lite. Actually, you could probably find both used in the FS/FT forums for around $300 if you're patient.

Does anyone else think the MS1s would work?

Jun 12, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 11
wow that was fast. 3 replies within 10 minutes.

About the 225 or 325s... would I need an amp to sufficiently power these headphones from the ipod?

I have been looking into the MS1's for a while now and posted a WTB in the classified section here. Would an amp paired with those phones make them significantly better?

Jun 12, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 11
I like the Etymotic ER4S. I think they're made for the iPod.
You could get them and a Headsave Vibe for ~$300.

However no offense, but your 'diverse' listing is pretty much Rock of one sort or another. From those selections I'd go with the Grado suggestion. SR225 and various amps will get you under your limit. Look for a deal (like Vibe) and you may even be able to get under $200. That would free up a little extra cash for a second, more portable set. Say Shure 2C, Ety E6 or Koss KSC35 or PortaPro.

EDIT: The SR225s can be powered fine off the iPod, and I preferred it unamped to the SR60/80 ampless, but an amp really does help as you move up the Grado line. The SR225 (and likely SR325) don't seem like a dramatic step above the cheaper Grados unless you add a little more power. Just depends if you want to carry one around all the time.

Jun 12, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 11
blessingx: yeah i guess most of what i said is rock. But I still do listen to the occasional classical, instrumental or even hip hop album.

I guess I should have also mentioned that I am not really into earbud/canalphones. I also already have pretty good portable headphones in my d66sl eggos so am mostly just looking into something I would sit down with.

I am really interested in the headsave vibe. It's cheap but I havent seen that many reviews about it around here yet... with the exception of fewtch's very favorable home-vibe review.

Jun 13, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 11
A couple other people who have Vibes have posted in fewtch's thread, pretty much universally positive. Norm has a stellar reputation and for the price, hard to not consider it, isn't it? I've been sucked in, and should get mine later this month...

Jun 13, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #10 of 11
if you want isolation and portability, i second the etys.

if not and you dont plan on ever spending more money, go for the sr225 plus amp.

if you think you might spend more money later, get the ms2 now, and an amp later.

Jun 14, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 11
Thank you everyone for your help, especially blessingx for the nice pm's. I ended up ordering some SR225's and will probably go with one of Norm's vibe amps as well. Maybe after a couple weeks I will make a new thread of my opinions. Now the wait for my 'phones to arrive begins!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back