Recommend me a second DIY SS amp for my grados.
Jan 5, 2011 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

BobSaysHi

Headphoneus Supremus
I did several searches, but I didn't find the information I was looking for, so I figured it wouldn't be unreasonable to start (yet another) thread. Also note that my sr60is are modded and woodied, and aren't your mamby-pamby run of the mill sr60is. 
tongue_smile.gif

Last summer I wanted a DIY amp, and the community recommended me the Millet Minimax. Today I got a older (mid 1990s) receiver for free, and even though it was kinda muddy, it really sounded nice. The mids have a very dry sound to them, which is preferred (believe it or not) over the richer mids from my tubes. Everything else was worse, though (it's not a very expensive receiver). I guess this is considered "analitical" sounding, although I'm not too sure.

I listen to a lot of metal, and that dry sound makes it just sound awesome. I read a couple threads, and one recommended the CKKIII. I was wondering about alternatives to this in the $100-300 range. ~300 is the absolute maximum, however. These are my "fun" phones that compliment my HD650 rig that's coming in (Speedball Crack). I'll also be building a gamma 2 whenever I get the funds for it.

The amp would be used exclusively at home, and at this point I'm not too worried about my soldering skills.

So anyway, sorry if I rambled a bit, your help would be appreciated. 
redface.gif

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 2

In your budget isn't it basically:
CK2III
M3
PPA

Focus your search on comparisons of those.   I ended up with the CK2III and focused my research on it.  The sound on it can change with output transistors, so if you go with it also you might plan for output transistor swapping to tweak your sound to taste (most are $0.5 - $1, not as expensive as opamp rolling)

Or read up on cfcubed's thrifty Beta22 build :wink:   Believe it was 2 boards and wallwarts for power.  Maybe add power and an active ground board at a later date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back