Recommend me a program to copy files
Aug 18, 2009 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Konig

1000+ Head-Fier
Sometimes when I transfer files from drive C to drive D via windows explorer, it seems that a small amount of files were not transferred.

Is there any program that verifies all data and transferred?

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 13
As far as I know if you copy and paste files they have to be transferred.

But you can try using a synchronization like SyncToy 2 which can automatically copy files for you. It can copy only new or updates files, and also delete files from the location being copied to that isn't found from the original location.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 13
I've been using Altec's _Servant Salamander_ Windows navigator for about five years now. It combines all the functionality of Windows Explorer with many enhanced and automated features, including basic split-screen operations. Folks who know the advantages of using a dedicated file navigation program will appreciate this inexpensive, resource-light addition. It's about the only thing that I'll happily keep in the Quickstart Bar.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 13
When in doubt, compare the file size of Original with file size of Copy. If they have identical file size, it's virtually impossible that they are different.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know if you copy and paste files they have to be transferred.

Unfortunately this isn't the case. Windows file transfer messes up sometimes if you try to copy large amounts of files. Just yesterday I did a copy + paste of a few hundred gigs of data on a Windows Server 2008 machine and it mysteriously forgot two folders.

Edit: Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V. They were definitely selected.

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 13
thank u guys so much for your suggestions!!

I recently found a very good program for hard disk recovery called recover my data!

do check it out!

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately this isn't the case. Windows file transfer messes up sometimes if you try to copy large amounts of files. Just yesterday I did a copy + paste of a few hundred gigs of data on a Windows Server 2008 machine and it mysteriously forgot two folders.

Edit: Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V. They were definitely selected.

That is strange, I better watch out from now on. I've used windows for 12 years and never thought about this.

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is strange, I better watch out from now on. I've used windows for 12 years and never thought about this.

It is strange indeed and I would have dismissed it as user error had it not happened to me before. Very scary stuff. Please, please always verify that a copy completed successfully before erasing the source!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back