Recommend me a player?
Nov 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

greyloki

New Head-Fier
Hiya,

I've decided that I'm fed up with using a Samsung Galaxy S4 as my main audio source, I'm looking to take the plunge and see about getting a dedicated music player again. However, I'm spoiled a little - the last music player I had was an iRiver iHP-120, which had an amazing feature set, I'd love to be able to replicate as much of it as possible.

So, I'm looking for a portable media player which has, in order of importance:

A nice-sounding output, better than your average iPod
At least 40GB of storage space
The ability to play a number of filetypes - mp3, ogg, flac, wav, aiff are the main formats.
A good battery life (i.e, stonk it for a day's playing and still have half a charge left)
Line input
Line output
Optical output
Optical input

If the iHP-120/140 could do all of the above in 2004, i'm sure there are devices around which must really show it up nowadays. I just can't find any of them(!)

Spec for the iHP-120 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iriver_H100_series

Would love to be able to get all of the above for not more than £150.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks.

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 2
Hi There,

I'm a newbie to the forums, but I recently bought a FiiO X3. It will take a 64GB microSD card, and the sound quality through my Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones is simply excellent. I has coax out and Line out. Although no line in, it does works as a USB DAC, and it will play FLAC files up to 24/192. Amazon has the X3 and a 64gb card & cable bundle for under $230 right now on Prime.

I've seen my share of holy wars on this forum from my time lurking, so I'm certain that although there are probably countless contrary opinions - based on your needs and my personal experience with the box, I think the X3 may work quite well for you.

Good listening,
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back