Recommend me a Philp Glass album/cd?
Jan 16, 2006 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a couple and I really enjoy most of them but dislike a few as well.
Recently acquired Koyaanisqatsi (may have spelled that wrong) and I REALLY dont like it. Maybe I have to give it a couple more listens...for now there are just too many creepy vocals-which is just not my thing.

I happen to really like the "the Hours" soundtrack-which plays out like a story and Violin Concerto which is just a collection of beautiful violin tracks.
I also like Naqoyqaatsi, but it feels a bit more ecclectic and does not play out like most other soundtracks that I own.

Could you recommend something based on the above?
I realize I like minimalism but not when it is too repetetive. I do like some sort if storyline/variety.

Jan 16, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 14
Agree. Some Philip Glass I like a lot and some I have to force myself to listen--North Star (and then there is the stuff in-between). I did like the film Koyaanisqatsi (life out of balance) and the other films less so. Symphonies Nos. 2 and 3 on Naxos surpised me. You might check samples out online. Because it's a bit hit or miss, I haven't listened to much of his music, but Glassworks is moving and a favorite.

Jan 16, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 14
You may then like:

Philip Glass - Solo Piano
Aleck Karis - Piano Music Of Philip Glass
Philip Glass - Glassworks

My favorite (by a wide margin and used in a few others soundtracks) is:

Philip Glass And Foday Musa Suso - Music From 'The Screens'

Jan 16, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
I have a couple and I really enjoy most of them but dislike a few as well.
Recently acquired Koyaanisqatsi (may have spelled that wrong) and I REALLY dont like it. Maybe I have to give it a couple more listens...for now there are just too many creepy vocals-which is just not my thing.

Could you recommend something based on the above?
I realize I like minimalism but not when it is too repetetive. I do like some sort if storyline/variety.

Agree that Koyaanisqatsi is not terribly good: way too bloated.

You won't go wrong with BlessingX's recommendations; another one I'd add is his collab with the Brazillian group Uakti, Aguas da Amazonia -- complete sonic bliss with crystaline percussion and exotic woodwinds. On the more conventionally "classical" side, I also like his string quartets a lot.

A few works that you probably won't like:
  1. The Photographer (this is a very early work; Glass has not reached maturity back then. Although the opening song is beautiful)
  2. Symphony #5 (well actually it is my favorite, but this work centres on "creepy" vocals)

Jan 16, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 14
Glassworks is impressive as is the Low Symphony.

Beyond that there is a collection of Glass organ compositions called Organ Works that I quite enjoy. Also check out the Kronos Quartet Plays Philip Glass.

Jan 16, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 14
Try 'Songs from Liquid Days' and maybe 'Hydrogen Jukebox'.
Those and Glasspieces (very nice) are my three favorites of his.

Regards, Jerry

Jan 16, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #8 of 14
Looks like at least three votes for Glassworks.

-
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Philip Glass And Foday Musa Suso - Music From 'The Screens'

Of interest to a few, Pierre Boulez considered composing an opera also based on Jean Genet's play The Screens, but was deterred when librettists involved with the production died...

6713_2_1.jpg

Jan 16, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fetus
I just picked up The Photographer by him. I dig it quite a bit. Find some audio samples online or go to a Barns and Noble.

I agree, if you need a Picture (hehe) of what Philip Glass is like, I couldn't think of a better place to start.

I've also enjoyed his SONGS FROM LIQUID DAYS as well.

I haven't heard much of his more recent work.

-jar

Jan 16, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 14
his String Quartets are pretty cool in the trademark Glass style. I borrowed them from my local library a couple of years ago and they have been on my "would be nice to own" list ever since :wink: I think the performers were the Kronos Quartet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back