Recommend me a PCDP
Nov 16, 2005 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DJShadow

1000+ Head-Fier
Greetings all.

I'm planning to buy a CD player as my Sony d-225cr has just completely died.

I'm willing to spend about £50 (british head-fiers would definitely be helpful) and i'll preferably would like it to be non-ebay.

I'll be exclusively using it at home and through headphones.

Oh and does anyone know of high street stores in England that stock audio-technicas?

Thanks

Nov 16, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 16
if you want a CD player, find your nearest practicalhifi and go in there. They still have the 2002/3 players in there. D-EJ885s, 985s, 2000s, etc. Brilliant service as well - they let me return and swap a pair of EX71s with no box, small bag, protector, just because the 'boots' had come off the cable connecters - and they were happy about it!

course, they are a little over your budget :frowning2: - they sometimes have some older PCDPs that were top of the line 5 years ago for quite cheap. www.practicalhifi.co.uk

Nov 16, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the reply.

I've never heard of a store called practicalhifi in Birmingham. I'm going into the Sony Store tomorrow and see if they have any sales or offers on.

I'm willing to spend a bit a more on a PCDP but i'll also like to get some good quality headphones as well.

Damn it. Looks like I caught head-fi syndrome
icon10.gif

And have any of you seen the NWA3000?!!? Its HUGGGGEEE!!! The NWA1000 however looks pretty sexy
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 16
It was interesting, when I was looking for Hi-MD discs (when they were rare), I went into the Sony shop - they didnt have them. I went into Practical Hi-Fi, they had them for £4 (rrp £10), and lote of them. I mentioned to the manager about the Sony store, and he said that was simply a franchise - Practical Hi-Fi was a Sony dealer.

My point is that I would rather avoid the Sony Shop at all costs and shop at PH - bound to be cheaper. The D-EJ001 is only £20 and has some decent reviews.

Nov 19, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for the advice.

I just remembered I had a Panasonic VCD player that I'm getting back so I'm covered there.

I'm currently checking out some sennheisers. I've seen HD 497 for about £35 and HD 595 for £100.

Any experience of these headphones?

Nov 22, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 16
Well the VCD player that I am using now is pretty crap. A sterile and dull sound accompanied by background hiss that is similiar to my HD3, but more prominent.

I'm considering selling my HD3 to raise some finance towards a CD player.

Does anyone have any experience of the Sony D-NE920 or the D-NE20?

I'd be extremely grateful for any feedback.

Nov 23, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow
Well the VCD player that I am using now is pretty crap. A sterile and dull sound accompanied by background hiss that is similiar to my HD3, but more prominent.

I'm considering selling my HD3 to raise some finance towards a CD player.

Does anyone have any experience of the Sony D-NE920 or the D-NE20?

I'd be extremely grateful for any feedback.

If I were you, I'd wait a little while

The D-NE30 and D-NE930 with a high definition digital amp is just around the corner

Nov 23, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Embio
if you want a CD player, find your nearest practicalhifi and go in there. They still have the 2002/3 players in there. D-EJ885s, 985s, 2000s, etc. Brilliant service as well - they let me return and swap a pair of EX71s with no box, small bag, protector, just because the 'boots' had come off the cable connecters - and they were happy about it!

course, they are a little over your budget :frowning2: - they sometimes have some older PCDPs that were top of the line 5 years ago for quite cheap. www.practicalhifi.co.uk

5 years ago... I guess that would mean that cool D-EJ01, where the CD slides in? I wonder why no other CD player was designed like that...

Nov 23, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

It was interesting, when I was looking for Hi-MD discs (when they were rare), I went into the Sony shop - they didnt have them. I went into Practical Hi-Fi, they had them for £4 (rrp £10), and lote of them. I mentioned to the manager about the Sony store, and he said that was simply a franchise - Practical Hi-Fi was a Sony dealer.

My point is that I would rather avoid the Sony Shop at all costs and shop at PH - bound to be cheaper. The D-EJ001 is only £20 and has some decent reviews.

20 GBP?! That thing is 20 USD here in the US! I heard you get ripped off in the UK, but I didn't think that you pay practically _double_ the price USAers pay...

Nov 23, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wwap
If I were you, I'd wait a little while

The D-NE30 and D-NE930 with a high definition digital amp is just around the corner

Oh is this really true? How you know this? I can't even find them on Sony Japan's site...

Good thing I didn't buy the '20 or the '920.

Nov 23, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 16
Theres a forum on atraclife with a tiny bit of info on the '30 and '930.

All it states is that they are yet to be released and there may not be much new compared to the previous generation.

And you'll be shocked at how much everything costs in comparison to the States.

Nov 23, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #14 of 16
yeah it is quite bad, I don't mind too much though to be honest. I was surprised when I went to Australia that it was the same there, small price to pay to not live in the US
tongue.gif

Does anybody have any information on the D-NE30 or 930? How can they make them smaller?

Nov 23, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

yeah it is quite bad, I don't mind too much though to be honest. I was surprised when I went to Australia that it was the same there, small price to pay to not live in the US
tongue.gif

Does anybody have any information on the D-NE30 or 930? How can they make them smaller?

Can't you just import it and still save? Is it even cheaper to buy in Japan or rest of Asia and import?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back