recommend me a pair of sports phones
Feb 11, 2008 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

athenaesword

500+ Head-Fier
hey guys i'd like to hear some recommendations on headphones/earphones that're good for running/gyming.

criteria:
1) really durable to sweat (i clean after my runs but when i go for 1hr runs it's bound to get drenched. p.s i live near the equator.)

2) sound quality isn't that big a priority but decent sound is always a must ^^

3) very little/ no microphonics (my c700s are wayyy too microphonic for example). i prefer clipon earphones to headphones because they're lighter and less in the way. feel free to add in recs for clipon headphones though

4) price should be below 70USD. if you've got something in mind you feel very strongly about but exceed budget, by all means hit me. if there's enough reason for me to get it i will.

basically, my heart gets wrenched everytime i jog with my denon c700s. i worry about the cable being corroded, sweat getting in to the earphones etc.
i don't wanna have to worry about any of that anymore.

haven't been on to headfi in awhile but looks like it's thriving more than ever. lookin forward to hearing some great suggestion!

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 19
From all the questions and answers I got-I wound up with the Senn OMX70's. They are very rugged (ugly bright green cords
smily_headphones1.gif
) and fit quite well. The clip over the ear is soft and fit well with my glasses. I sweat a lot during a workout and these phones take that easily. Just wipe them off and all is good.
I will note that mine are not used every day and thus it has taken longer than I expected for me to adjust to them versus my 'cans'. The sound does get better with time so it seems. Great product and Sennheiser's support is terrific too.

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 19
ugly bright green cords? =s haha i must add that i'm 20 and i do care how i look =)

how are they pricewise? i work out everyday so they really gotta be durable. i dont' wanna have to worry about the sweat killing them, not that i'll be smacking them around but i like being able to focus on what i'm doing than thinking about something that should really be a concern at all.

what did you mean by adjusting to them? were you refering to soundwise?

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 19
i too have the omx 70, and yeah they are that durable, though the little cable near the top has split a bit but it doesnt bother me,

sweat doesnt bother these, whereas it broke my ibuds!

theyre cheap

Feb 11, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
akg k81 or ksc 75.

any reason why u're recommending these?

also, with these clipons, are there any microphonics present?

someone suggested these: Philips SBCHJ080 Nike Skylon
anyone know anythign about them?

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just purchased and burned in the KSC-75. I have not used them to work out in, but I did have them on when walking on the treadmill this morning. No microphonics. Surprisingly comfortable. Good value cans.

i'm hoping to get clipon earphones instead of headphones. my rationale is that headphones would be slightly heavier and i would notice their presence more than clip on earphones.

those who suggested omx70 though are there microphonics with these?

also, i've been looking up the recommended pieces; the cable looks the same as any regular earphone cord. what makes these more sweat resistant than others? i hope they won't get hardened over time.

considering:
1) senn omx70 (3 recommendations)
2) Philips SBCHJ080 Nike Skylon
3) ksc 75 (3)
4) pmx 100
5) Philips SHJ022/27 Nike Neckband Headphones

c'mon guys chime in!

Feb 12, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 19
maybe i have small ears or something, but the ksc75's seem to move around a lot when i'm lightly jogging because they're clip-ons. i don't recommend the ksc75's because i don't really think they're suitable for really active activities, maybe for walking, but nothing else. they're really loose when i start jogging, almost to the point of falling off my ears.

Feb 12, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
akg k81

How can you run and sweat with a tight fitting, semi-large set of headphones on? And I cant get the Koss 75s to stay over my ears unless my head is perfectly parallel to the ground at all time. So I use creative ep630s (aka senn. CX300) and run the cable under my shirt to prevent microphones, which can otherwise be pretty bad with these. They can be found cheap and have enough bass to keep you moving. Isolation is pretty good too, so watch for cars.

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #13 of 19
i'd say skip the 75s and go for the portapro. the portapro uses the same drivers as the 35s, which imo sound better because of the better bass response and the less harsh treble, slightly less grain. Also, the headband is light and with the temporal pads added, there's plenty of security. i wear my portapros everywhere over the 75s and they withstand to everything short of sprint days at the track.

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #14 of 19
Dear lord, with big billboard sized letters I want to spell out kcs75s!!!!!

I'm a running too and have been nothing but happy with these phones. Their relaxing unfatiguing sound sig is perfect for long runs. I run with them 5 times a week and just finished an 1h30m run with them yesterday. They also stay on (my) ears really well for runs and I barely need to touch them once they are on. There lightness also adds to there wearability. The SQ is very good, slightly rolled off highs that add to that unfatiguing sound sig, but the mids are fun and have bite and the bass has surprising texture and extension. Another plus for running is the price: at $13 if you should happen to snag the cord or lose a pair, its no big deal, you can just buy another pair just about anywhere. Highly recommended from a runner!!!

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #15 of 19
i couldn't wait so i took the plunge and got myself the omx70. alot more expensive than the ksc75 but i decided to go for the omx70 because of the highly waterresistant cord, and the fact that they're earpieces rather than headpieces. i'll be sure to post some feedback here if i can remember to.

thanks to all who've added their recommendations!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back