Recommend Me a Pair of IEMs
Dec 30, 2006 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

potatotron

100+ Head-Fier
Firstly, let me say that I've been lurking for a while but I haven't seen fit to post until now - as such, I'm not expecting very many responses, but I'll be happy with anything, really.

Secondly, I'm looking for a pair of midrange IEMs. I have a pair of E2cs that I'm pretty fond of, but the sound is cutting out in the left channel and, since I can't find the receipt for warranty service, now seems about the right time to buy a new set, in light of Christmas money - the back-up EX51s just aren't cutting it anymore. In particular, I liked that (sound-wise, at least) the E2cs were comfortable to listen to for long stretches on account of the warm sound. More importantly, however, they isolated very well - I'd say that this is one of my biggest requirements in a pair of earphones. Physical comfort, however, was an issue with the flex sleeves - I couldn't get a good seal with the foamies - but this was easily remedied by an ugly two-tone mash-up of sleeves from the EX51s and a pair of HJE50s. They also seemed to work well with the music that I listen to - mostly indie pop (Rilo Kiley, Tilly and the Wall, Belle and Sebastian), post-rock (Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky) and electronic (the Faint, Fischerspooner).

That said, there a few sets that I'm considering. Listed below are what I'm looking into and the price (in USD) that I can get each one at:

M-Audio IE-10 - $100
M-Audio IE-20 XB - $190
M-Audio IE-30 - $225
Shure E3 - $150
Shure E4 - $225
Shure E3c (are these at all different from the E3s?) - $215
Etymotic ER-6 - $150
Etymotic ER-6i - $160
V-Moda Vibe - $110

I'm also interested in the Westone UM1s after seeing the praise lavished upon them in the UM1/UM2 appreciation thread. The problem is that I can't find them in stores (anyone know of a place that you can buy them at in Calgary, Alberta?) and I'm not fully willing to dish out twenty dollars for cross-border shipping. Even so, I can get them for $130 shipped - but are they worth the added cost and annoyance of shipping?

Also, bear in mind that since I'm only a high school student, money is in short supply so I'll be running whichever pair I get unamped. I hope to fix that in the future, though.

Thanks for any recommendations you might see fit to give.

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 23
Shure E4C For $145.00

I make no claim as to whether or not the person selling these is legit. I'm not associated with him/her in any way. I just saw the posting and noticed they were on your list.

That said if you like the Shure sound then the E3C or E4C seem like winners to me.

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure E4C For $145.00

I make no claim as to whether or not the person selling these is legit. I'm not associated with him/her in any way. I just saw the posting and noticed they were on your list.

That said if you like the Shure sound then the E3C or E4C seem like winners to me.

Thanks for the listing, but I haven't got a credit card so I'd rather buy out of a store. Does anyone have any recommendations based on the prices I listed above?

Dec 30, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 23
I like the etymotics, have had the er-6 for a few years now (regretting I didn't get the er-6i, released shortly after I purchased). I don't think I'd ever worry about getting an amp for IEMs, most are very sensitive and there's no need for the volume increase since you'll probably be listening at much lower volume anyway because of the isolation.

Also, I know you're in Canada, but you might want to shop around a bit more for prices if you do go for the etymotics. When I bought my er-6 I got them for around 80-90 USD shipped, new. If you've got any specific questions about the etymotics I can try to help you out.

Dec 30, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by potatotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the listing, but I haven't got a credit card so I'd rather buy out of a store. Does anyone have any recommendations based on the prices I listed above?

It's a relative known on here that the E3 is a major waste of money. On websites you can get the E4 for less than the E3. If you must purchase from a store, based on what you wrote, buy the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 pro. They are excellent sounding IEMs all around.

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 23
Another vote for Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro

I love these IEM's, better than the Shure E3C IMHO.

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Etymotic ER-6 - $150
Etymotic ER-6i - $160

Hmmm... you can get ER4's for that price or slightly more.

Personally - I've never looked back on the ER4S. You need a good amp though.

Dec 30, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 23
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! So, it appears that it's between the E4s and the IE-30s, at roughly the same price. Does anyone who's heard both have a preference? Which ones are more comfortable and which ones have a lower profile?

Also, after a bit of digging, I've found a store that sells the UM1s for $120 and the UM2s for $300. I thus have a few questions:

- Are the UM1s a very large step down from the E4s and the IE-30s? Is the difference big enough to merit the extra hundred dollars?
- How much better are the UM2s than the E4s and the IE-30s? I've read that they're more balanced, but is this difference worth the extra seventy-five dollars?

Dec 30, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! So, it appears that it's between the E4s and the IE-30s, at roughly the same price. Does anyone who's heard both have a preference? Which ones are more comfortable and which ones have a lower profile?

Also, after a bit of digging, I've found a store that sells the UM1s for $120 and the UM2s for $300. I thus have a few questions:

- Are the UM1s a very large step down from the E4s and the IE-30s? Is the difference big enough to merit the extra hundred dollars?
- How much better are the UM2s than the E4s and the IE-30s? I've read that they're more balanced, but is this difference worth the extra seventy-five dollars?

UM1/UM2 have a very different sound signature to the ones you mentioned. I believe UM1 is more balanced than both E4 and SuperFi5 Pro. The difference is mainly in clarity and midrange compare to E4 and in bass impact and soundstage compare to SuperFi5.

UM1 and UM2 have the lowest profile on universal-fit IEMs, quite close to the customs. They sit absolutely flush on the ears and are the most comfortable too.

UM2 are dark and warm sounding, the sound characteristic is somewhat like the E4, but with less treble and mids, and greater bass and soundstage.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM1/UM2 have a very different sound signature to the ones you mentioned. I believe UM1 is more balanced than both E4 and SuperFi5 Pro. The difference is mainly in clarity and midrange compare to E4 and in bass impact and soundstage compare to SuperFi5.

UM1 and UM2 have the lowest profile on universal-fit IEMs, quite close to the customs. They sit absolutely flush on the ears and are the most comfortable too.

UM2 are dark and warm sounding, the sound characteristic is somewhat like the E4, but with less treble and mids, and greater bass and soundstage.

Would you say that the clarity and midrange benefits in the E4s or the bass and soundstage benefits in the IE-30s are worth the tradeoffs in cost and comfort?

Also, how much bigger are the IE-30s than the E4s? Do either of those stick out awkwardly?

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 23
Chalk a vote up for some Super.Fi 5 Pro's. The have very filled out mid and low. I previously owned a pair of Ety ER-6i's. They are the ones with a more extended bassn than the ER-6, but I found them to be very analytical and a bit uncomfortable...

Alright. really uncomfortable. It always felt like my ear and been f*(@#ed after I pulled them out. The SF5P are very comfortable. especially with the reverse mod.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 23
You should really scour for a UM1. It's pleasantly warm, low-profile, and MUCH more comfortable than the Super.fi 5 Pro. Isolation, a key factor for you, is also easily superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back