Recommend me a pair of headphones
May 26, 2010 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JoshKe

New Head-Fier
I'm sure, absolutely sure, you get lots of people with one post asking for a recommendation on headphones. :)

I'm looking for a nice pair of headphones to replace my stock Apple earbuds. Some thing like the HD555

HD555_ProductPrivate.jpg

Main points:

Replaceable / detachable headphone cord. Not one that's permanently attached to the unit.

Pads sit outside the ears

Prefer it to be an open design

Will pay for quality. :)

Any ones you guys recommend? Looking to keep this under $150, those (above) I can pick up for $130 or so.

May 26, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 12
Detachable cord reduces your choises A LOT.

May 26, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 12
It's true, there aren't a lot of headphones that have a detachable cable, especially in your price range.  If you don't mind going for a used pair, you might be able to get a pair of Sennheiser HD595s instead -- I remember them being a pretty solid offering, have read good things about them, and have seen them sell used for as little as $120.

May 26, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 12
Open cans tend to sound better than closed cans in the same price range. The SRH440 is a nice headphone, but the AD700 are a better choice in that price range.

May 26, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Open cans tend to sound better than closed cans in the same price range. The SRH440 is a nice headphone, but the AD700 are a better choice in that price range.

How does the AD700 compare to the HD555? Can they both comfortably be driven an iPod / Laptop without an amp? How does the HD555 compare to the lesser HD515 other then price?

May 26, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 12
HD515? Don't swear :p 

The AD700 is brighter than the HD555, and has better soundstage and clarity. What music do you listen to? The AD700s can do justice to just about any genre.

Also, both can be driven well unamped :)

May 27, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
HD515? Don't swear :p 

The AD700 is brighter than the HD555, and has better soundstage and clarity. What music do you listen to? The AD700s can do justice to just about any genre.

Also, both can be driven well unamped :)

HD515? I must be missing a joke. :)

I listen to everything except rap. You have a lot of emphasis on classical / instrumental music, but a healthy dose of everything else from Country to Metal.

What's the noise leakage from open headphones? For example if I'm on a train is it going to sound like crap? If I'm in the office an listening at a moderate volume is everyone within 20ft of me going to hear it too?

May 27, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 12
Let's just say it sounds bad :)

With the classical, you'll enjoy a wide soundstage with the 700s and they have some nice sparkle that will go well with your metal etc, they're generally good all-around 'phones as long as your not a basshead.

The noise leakage though, its like a sieve, no point in using it on a train. If you've got a private office it would be nice but if not, they'll hear it pretty clearly. For the office I use ESW9s which sound great with everything but don't leak much at all, and aren't isolating enough that people have to punch me to get my attention :)

May 27, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #10 of 12

Just as Mr Joboto said the AD700 are brighter with better soundstage, but the 555 have the advantage  of more (and better IMO) bass (although neither is bass heavy). For classicar I'd take the AD700, for metal the 555 (there is too little bass in the AD700 for metal and a couple other genres).

Also there is a relatively simple (say 10 minutes) mod to turn them into the HD595 (see this thread).

The noise leakage is quite big (although it depends on the sound volume), and I personally would not use any of them in a train because then I would have to crank the volume up to neutralize outside noise, and also both headphones are not that portable, they are kind of big and impractical IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back