Recommend me a pair of headphones in the < $300 range
Sep 4, 2013 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

halfhearted

New Head-Fier
So I'm looking to upgrade to a pair of headphones in the $0-$300 range. I'm not really on a strict budget, mind you, I just feel that above $300 and especially past $500 lies the realm of diminishing returns for me, I'd go higher than the $300 mark but not unless there are large performance gains or the perfect sound signature. I've already got an amount set aside for both an AMP and a DAC that should power any headphone in this price range, so the $300 or so can be devoted entirely to the headphones.

Feel free to skip to the bolded list at this point if you'd rather not read a small wall of text.

For a little background, I've owned the HD515s, then the AM-90s (iem), next the DT770s, and finally the M6s (iem). None of the four have really wowed me, aside from the initial step-up from terrible earbuds and clip-ons to the HD515s. In fact, after the newness of them wore off I didn't particularly like how any of them sounded either. At the time, I thought it was because they had too little bass (the HD515s and the AM-90s) but I was proven wrong when I got the DT770s and enjoyed the comfort and sturdy construction as well as the improvement in detail, but disliked the sound signature. After that, I only purchased the M6s because they were cheap, well-regarded, and I needed a comfortable, ergonomic option for the gym. I'm now fairly certain the cause of my dislike were the recessed mids, which don't play well with my love for clarity and detail in that area.

For reference, I listen to a little bit of everything (polka and other extremely esoteric genres aside) including more bass-heavy genres like rock and hip-hop but I tend to value the vocals, lyrics, the electric guitar, and the upper lows of something like the bass guitar over all the other instruments in that music. I'd like to hear some improvement in the sound of my more instrumental music as well, like post-rock, electronic music (excepting most dubstep), classical, and such. So I guess I'd prefer a pair of headphones that really lets the mids and highs shine, with a well-extended, tight, and neutral bass.

So to sum it up and for those of you with little time, I believe I'm looking for a headphone with these traits:

- Neutral bass, but I'd accept something with recessed bass as long as it's not loose or rolled off
- Excellent clarity and detail, especially in the mids and highs
- Good comfort, although this can be very subjective so feel free to ignore this point entirely
- Solid construction and build quality, I don't need a tank like the DT770s but preferably something that won't fall apart like my HD515s did
- I'm not too familiar with what a good soundstage or good imaging sounds like, so they aren't a necessity, but I certainly wouldn't turn them down
- Open rather than closed, as I think the DT770s feel a bit... I dunno, claustrophobic
- Good for vocals and bass-light instrumental genres like post-rock, electronic (dubstep and other bass-heavy electronic music aside), classical and other genres in the same general frequency range
- Preferably under $300 street value, although I'm willing to go $50-$100 higher if necessary

I'm currently looking into the K701/K702/Q701, ATH-AD900, DT880s, and finally the HD558s as a value for money option but other suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks for any help you can offer me.

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 15
Heya,

Some headphones to consider:

Beyer DT880 (250ohm & 600ohm if using an amplifier)
Sennheiser HD600
AKG Q701 or K702
Sony MA900
Hifiman HE-300
Philips Fidelio X1
AudioTechnica AD900X

They will all provide what you're looking for. The question simply becomes preference to signature.

I think you would probably really do well with the AD900X and Q701 based on how you described things.

Very best,

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 15
Thanks MalVeauX.

Taking a look at all of those headphones now, since I hadn't heard of or hadn't considered quite a few of them. Hopefully the cans I'm looking for are among them. Right now I'm leaning towards the Q701s but the AD900X and HE-300 interest me since both manufacturers have fantastic reputations. In what way does the AD900X differ from the AD900, though?

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #4 of 15
  Thanks MalVeauX.

Taking a look at all of those headphones now, since I hadn't heard of or hadn't considered quite a few of them. Hopefully the cans I'm looking for are among them. Right now I'm leaning towards the Q701s but the AD900X and HE-300 interest me since both manufacturers have fantastic reputations. In what way does the AD900X differ from the AD900, though?

Heya,

The AD900X has better low end control, less roll-off, otherwise very similar. A lot of the AT Air series had some short comings in the low end game, and the X series added give some life down there. It's not to make them bassy, as they're not bassy, but it bring things up to the zero line, where they should be (which is difficult in all open air headphones typically).

Another note, the Q701 and HE300 have removable cables. Nice feature if you change things up, or need to replace things later. Also both have replaceable ear pads.

Very best,

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 15
After looking at all the headphones you listed, I find I'm still leaning towards the Q701s.

Obviously they'll need an amp, but are there any glaring issues in the sound quality? For instance, I've heard the occasional gripe about the soundstage being bad or just strange; is that the case in your experience?

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 15
  After looking at all the headphones you listed, I find I'm still leaning towards the Q701s.

Obviously they'll need an amp, but are there any glaring issues in the sound quality? For instance, I've heard the occasional gripe about the soundstage being bad or just strange; is that the case in your experience?

Heya,

The AKG K/Q7XX series have some of the better sound stages in dynamic headphones. Strange, however, can be a yes (myself, my experience is that the sound stages sound a little artificially large to me, on intimate tracks that are supposed to sound face to face, but rather sound a row away; but this is just my experience). Some people love huge sound stages, and these are good headphones for them.

Very best,

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 15
Sennheiser HD600 or Beyer DT880.

DT880s are currently my runner up, but they seem to have a significant spike in the highs that lead to user discomfort in some cases. I plan on using as transparent an AMP and DAC as I can get for my money so those won't fix it if it's actually an issue. Has that been your experience, or are the highs tolerable even with female vocals?

As for the HD600s? I just don't see how they with their inferior or equal build quality and similar-looking (if somewhat smoother) sound signature justify a $100 price increase over the Q701s and DT880s.

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 15

Heya,

The AKG K/Q7XX series have some of the better sound stages in dynamic headphones. Strange, however, can be a yes (myself, my experience is that the sound stages sound a little artificially large to me, on intimate tracks that are supposed to sound face to face, but rather sound a row away; but this is just my experience). Some people love huge sound stages, and these are good headphones for them.

Very best,

Yeah, that's what I meant. They probably called it bad because they didn't like it, rather than it actually being poor. I'm not really sure how that'd affect me, considering that I've never noticed soundstaging with either of the cans I've owned.

How's the soundstage with the DT880s?

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #10 of 15
  Yeah, that's what I meant. They probably called it bad because they didn't like it, rather than it actually being poor. I'm not really sure how that'd affect me, considering that I've never noticed soundstaging with either of the cans I've owned.

How's the soundstage with the DT880s?

Heya,

The soundstage of the DT880 is right for me, my preferences. Technically it's good. Preference will dictate if you like it or not. It's not too expanded to sound artificial, and it's not closed in at all, so it's in between, where it should be, which is why I call it right.

Very best,

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #11 of 15

Heya,

The soundstage of the DT880 is right for me, my preferences. Technically it's good. Preference will dictate if you like it or not. It's not too expanded to sound artificial, and it's not closed in at all, so it's in between, where it should be, which is why I call it right.

Very best,

Seems like the DT880 is the best choice for me, but that still leaves the question of what version I should get. I've heard the 600ohm version is the best if you've got an amp. Does that ring true?

Also, since you seem to have a considerable amount of experience with the DT880s, what affordable entry-level AMP and DAC pairing or AMP/DAC would you recommend for them? I've heard good things about the O2+ODAC, the Magni/Modi combo, and the Little Dot and I see you've got some experience with all of those or at least with the manufacturers. I'd preferably like to spend no more than about $200-$250 on the AMP and DAC since I've got no experience with them as of yet. I've already got a UCA202 that performs well enough, though, so I can wait on purchasing a new DAC if there's a $200 amp that's perfect in your opinion.

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #12 of 15
  Seems like the DT880 is the best choice for me, but that still leaves the question of what version I should get. I've heard the 600ohm version is the best if you've got an amp. Does that ring true?

Also, since you seem to have a considerable amount of experience with the DT880s, what affordable entry-level AMP and DAC pairing or AMP/DAC would you recommend for them? I've heard good things about the O2+ODAC, the Magni/Modi combo, and the Little Dot and I see you've got some experience with all of those or at least with the manufacturers. I'd preferably like to spend no more than about $200-$250 on the AMP and DAC since I've got no experience with them as of yet. I've already got a UCA202 that performs well enough, though, so I can wait on purchasing a new DAC if there's a $200 amp that's perfect in your opinion.

Heya,

The DT880's are the same. The impedance is just for matching them to an amplifier's peak performance. The 600ohm for some reason gets touted as being best, but it sounds identical to the 250ohm. And measured, they are so close, that it's a technical thing on an instrument, and it's not the headphone, it's the amplifier and it's behavior with those two work loads. They cost the same. The 600ohm is slightly more difficult to drive and requires more voltage from an amplifier. The 250ohm requires less voltage but takes a touch more current. It honestly makes no difference which one you get. Both work well with solid state amplifiers. Both work well with tube amplifiers. So go with what you can get. Just know, for maximum performance, it will take more to get it from the 600ohm than the 250ohm. On a budget, I would just get the 250ohm as it will be easier to drive in general and sound the same.

A $60 Fiio E10 would push the 250ohm just fine, for example.

The Schiit Modi & Magni would be an excellent $200 setup that would future proof for most headphones.

Or you can use your current DAC and grab something like a Little Dot MK II if you want an OTL tube for fun.

Very best,

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #13 of 15

Heya,

The DT880's are the same. The impedance is just for matching them to an amplifier's peak performance. The 600ohm for some reason gets touted as being best, but it sounds identical to the 250ohm. And measured, they are so close, that it's a technical thing on an instrument, and it's not the headphone, it's the amplifier and it's behavior with those two work loads. They cost the same. The 600ohm is slightly more difficult to drive and requires more voltage from an amplifier. The 250ohm requires less voltage but takes a touch more current. It honestly makes no difference which one you get. Both work well with solid state amplifiers. Both work well with tube amplifiers. So go with what you can get. Just know, for maximum performance, it will take more to get it from the 600ohm than the 250ohm. On a budget, I would just get the 250ohm as it will be easier to drive in general and sound the same.

A $60 Fiio E10 would push the 250ohm just fine, for example.

The Schiit Modi & Magni would be an excellent $200 setup that would future proof for most headphones.

Or you can use your current DAC and grab something like a Little Dot MK II if you want an OTL tube for fun.

Very best,

Think I'll go with the 250ohm version paired with the Magni and the UCA202 that I've already got for now and then pick up the Modi at a later date. That way I can dedicate the $100 I'll save on some decent portable cans so I can stop wearing IEMs entirely outside of the gym.

Thanks a lot, you and xkonfuzed have been a big help.

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 15
  Think I'll go with the 250ohm version paired with the Magni and the UCA202 that I've already got for now and then pick up the Modi at a later date. That way I can dedicate the $100 I'll save on some decent portable cans so I can stop wearing IEMs entirely outside of the gym.

Thanks a lot, you and xkonfuzed have been a big help.

On that note, if you're looking for a $100 portable, check out the AudioTechnica ES7.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back