Recommend me a pair of cans please
Nov 21, 2015 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dperolio

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.

A Little About Me

I'm new to the "audiophile" scene, but I've always felt Music is Life and can appreciate good sound. I've never been a big bass head, I like a little bit but not so much that it overpowers the vocals. I usually keep the bass low and treble all the way up. I've just recently gotten the HD598's and I think the sound is great, so I'm looking for something around the same sound experience if possible.

What I Own

Sennheiser HD 598
Logitech G933 (soon)
Random crappy bluetooth IEMs for working out

What I Need From The Headset

I'm still not very comfortable with the terms warms, flat, bright, dark, V-shaped, sparkly, etc. as I'm very new to this. As I said though, I like the HD 598's, which I hear are considered to be "neutral bordering on warm." I don't need much bass. The reason I'm looking for a pair besides the HD 598's is basically 2-fold: 1) I want something "fashionable" that I can wear with different outfits (the HD598's has a retro style to it, which goes great with some of my outfits but not most), and by fashionable I pretty much mean anything other than the retro style of the HD598's ;p and 2) I need something that is portable and able to be used out-and-about on the go, for traveling and such.

So far, some of the ones I've been researching and considering are:

Koss DJ-100
Grado SR80e
ATH M50x
Berydynamics 770/880/990
VModa M100
Shure SRH840
AKG K240 MKii
AKG K551
AKG Q701

My personal conclusions so far:

-The Koss DJ-100 and Grado SR80e probably wouldn't be up-to-par with the sound quality of my HD598's or other options.
-The ATH M50x, Berydynamics 770/800, and Vmoda M100 are probably more bass-heavy than I would like.
-The Shure SRH840 are pretty ugly to me, would prefer not to choose these (yes, I'm a little shallow, but I still like good sound).
-Of the 3 AKG, I'm really leaning towards the AKG Q701, but I'm told they aren't very portable/durable?

My budget is around $120 (street price, good deals, so like ~$200-250 normally).

I will very likely be using the FiiO Q1 (http://www.amazon.com/Q1-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B0157DKAU4) unless you can recommend something better for roughly the same value (not looking to spend too much on an AMP/DAC at this time, $70 is roughly my budget). They will be used almost solely through my Android mobile device (OnePlus One) for listening to music.

Appreciate any advice you can give me. I've read hundreds of posts and reviews over the last week, so yes I'm trying.

Thanks.

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 8
  Okay, I went ahead and bought a pair of AKG Q701, it's being shipped. Still interested in hearing opinions though!

I think you will enjoy your 701s. I actually bought the K712s first and they were so comfortable I bought the 701s because of the design. The 701s are a bit down on the lower frequencies, but they have a very pleasing presentation for most genres.

Here is a graphic representation of frequency response for both headphones.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 8
701 isn't the first thing that comes to mind for "portable" and "when out and about."  They're big and leak a lot.  The sound is a bit "unique."  I don't know how fashionable they are, but they'll definitely get some looks.  

The Beyers you listed are all pretty big, and 880 and 990 are open.

Then again, the HD598 isn't exactly small.  And those leak too.

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 8
  701 isn't the first thing that comes to mind for "portable" and "when out and about."  They're big and leak a lot.  The sound is a bit "unique."  I don't know how fashionable they are, but they'll definitely get some looks.  

The Beyers you listed are all pretty big, and 880 and 990 are open.

Then again, the HD598 isn't exactly small.  And those leak too.

What would you recommend then? I don't really mind how big they are, as long as they're pretty durable. I feel like the HD598 would break fairly easily if I'm not careful with them. This may be a headset I lay on at night listening to music while I'm traveling. Noise-isolation is pretty important, but not a deal breaker. When I'm traveling, I'm with my bowling team so I'd rather have the isolation, but I don't really want to give up a lot of sound quality for it.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Buying a pair of open headphones for only portable use would be a total waste of money, as it has literally no isolation at all, and the music would be masked by all the background noises. You could crank up the volume so the only thing you hear is the music but that would probably disturb people around you, not to mention you would be  practically deaf in a year.

If you want something that can be used both outside and inside, you should go with closed headphones, the AKG K551 is supposed to be a good starting point if you are not a basshead (I haven't personally heard them), but I own a pair of K545s which are said to be similiar to the K551 and I find them quite balanced across the spectrum.

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 8
It's hard to recommend a headphone since you say isolation is pretty important, and that you travel with other people, and that you want them fashionable because you will apparently wear them out in public, yet then say you want an open headphone -- which are basically designed for the opposite of those things.

I, too, think the HD598 is on the more breakable side.  They're ok, but I sure wouldn't sleep with them on. The main Beyers like DT770/880/990 feel a lot stronger.  I'd still worry about the hinges on the cups, but I wouldn't worry too much.

You might be in for a shock when the 701 arrives.  The cups are big and round.  I guess they could be worn around the neck as a fashion statement, but it might look like you have an extra pair of shoulders.  Similar goes for the K550/551, which might actually be what you're looking for, other than they're rather big.  They sure do look good imo.  And are neutral-ish sounding.

I still don't understand how and where these would be worn as a fashion statement that matches your outfits. Would think you'd just get a pair of portable Momentum on-ears or something for that, and then use something full-size when more alone and listening is the goal.

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 8
Hey, thanks for the reply. It's not exactly that I want an open headphone. I would prefer a closed, isolated headphone, but from all I've read I would have to pay a lot more to get a pair of cans with sound quality "equivocal" to an open can.

That being said, I see there's massdrop for an AKG K267 for $130. Any thoughts on that? Seems like it might be a good idea to me. Eh, I just can't do it, too many horror stories about them breaking easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back