Recommend me a lood LAN lightning protector
Jul 28, 2004 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 4
You running network lines outside on the roof or something?

You don't need it as long as your runs inside the walls are not exposed to bare wire, but then you'll be having connection problems.

You need to protect lines coming in from the outside. AC mains, coaxial (for cable broadband), and maybe phone, but surge suppressors for phone interferes with DSL transmission.

-Ed

Jul 28, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
You need to protect lines coming in from the outside. AC mains, coaxial (for cable broadband), and maybe phone, but surge suppressors for phone interferes with DSL transmission.

-Ed

Already done that. All my equipment are plugged into a surge protector. Comps, music equipment, cable TV, telephone lines, all except the LAN cable that goes into my computer's network adaptor.

I need something like this. Any cheap suggestions?

Jul 28, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 4
Are your network cables run inside your walls? Are they hooked up to equipment that is not protected? You shouldn't have any surge issues with network cables, unless you are running really high voltage equipment in your network.

If you are worried about direct lightning strikes, rememeber that even the best surge suppressors will do nothing for a direct lightning hit to your home's wiring.

If you are really that paranoid, I believe that Belkin and TrippLite have some surge suppressors with RJ45 jacks for protection there.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back