Recommend me a LCD monitor
Sep 7, 2004 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mxs1030

500+ Head-Fier
My old 19" CRT just died on me (random brand from costco). I have a budget of $550, but I can stretch it to $600. I won't be playing alot of games on it, and my desk space won't allow a CRT, so a LCD would be a ideal. Primary use will be to watch DVDs, surf the web, and occasionally play doom 3
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm not planning on upgrading my monitor for the next few years after this purchase, so something reliable and future-proof would be nice.

Here are some monitors I'm currently looking at...

SAMSUNG 172X-Silver 17" LCD Monitor

SAMSUNG 910T-Black 19" LCD Monitor

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, a CRT would do fine also, I completely forgot about my 2nd desk in the garage which could accommodate a CRT monitor.

Sep 7, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 5
I am using Samsung 171N at the moment.
Because the side are very narrow, therefor, it seem the screen is a little bit bigger than the normal 17inch monitors. But it is still 17 inch.
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 5
The Samsung 173P is absolutely gorgeous. Good enough for some gaming, and great features - the best 17" LCD on the market, IMO. List price is something like $650, but you should be able to get it for around $600.

If you can stretch the budget a bit further, you can get a Dell 2001FP that's absolutely loaded (1600 x 1200 resolution, 16ms panel, rotation, DVI/HD15/S-Video/Composite inputs, USB hub) for $700 + Shipping off ebay (there seems to be a ton of new units on sale there for whatever reason). That 20" LCD should definitely be able to last you quite a while.

~KS

Sep 7, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 5
A slightly smaller widescreen - I really like my Philips 170W4, it's a 17" widescreen monitor that you can rotate 90 degrees, which is really useful. They've been around for a while now, so you should be able to get one for a good price. Mine cost UKP320. The custom widescreen resolution doesn't work with some old video cards (eg Intel 810 chipset), but I suspect by your budget that you're probably not using one of those...
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back