Recommend me a Headphone / Desktop Amp combo
Sep 23, 2018 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

af0h

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a Headphone / Desktop Tube Amp combo. I have a $1000 budget, so I want to get the best that I can for the money. I don't need a DAC, as I mostly listen to Redbook CD's and SACD's. I prefer over-ear headphones and would prefer a tube amp - doesn't need to be portable.

Classic Rock, 80's New Age (Mannheim Steamroller, etc), 70's Electronic Music (Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, etc.) and some Classical (Orchestra with Pipe Organ in particular) - those are my musical interests, if that helps.

My current setup is a Project Starlight Amp (with JJ EC802 (Nice Sound)) and a set of Pioneer SE-A1000 headphones, so there is a lot of room for improvements.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 10
What are you using as a DAC function?
Is the audio source a computer (or a CD or DVD or Blu-ray player)?
My two cents is to spend over 50% of your audio budget for headphones.
Even 60% + of the budget, for headphones.

If your big on clarity, check out the Beyerdynamic T90.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 10
I would consider a Campfire Cascade and then spend the balance on a nice but relatively inexpensive amp. I agree with @PurpleAngel about spending the lion's share on the headphone but I myself would actually spend even a bit more on the headphones. The biggest improvement in sound quality comes from the headphone optimization. There are some good amps in the $300-dollar range. The Cascade is quite easy to drive, so you could even get away with something simple and see what you think of the setup before spending a bunch more on an amp. The Cascade is low impedance and so not very OTL friendly (damping factor issues) . Just my take and YMMV.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 10
What are you using as a DAC function?
Is the audio source a computer (or a CD or DVD or Blu-ray player)?
My two cents is to spend over 50% of your audio budget for headphones.
Even 60% + of the budget, for headphones.

I would consider a Campfire Cascade and then spend the balance on a nice but relatively inexpensive amp. I agree with @PurpleAngel about spending the lion's share on the headphone but I myself would actually spend even a bit more on the headphones. The biggest improvement in sound quality comes from the headphone optimization. There are some good amps in the $300-dollar range. The Cascade is quite easy to drive, so you could even get away with something simple and see what you think of the setup before spending a bunch more on an amp. The Cascade is low impedance and so not very OTL friendly (damping factor issues) . Just my take and YMMV.

Currently I'm using the RCA outputs on a Sony CDP-307 ESD for CD's, SACD player is a Sony 5-disc SACD player (forgot the model #).
The CDP-307 actually sounds better playing standard cd's than the SACD player. so that's why I use 2 separate players.

Since i'm very happy with the Garage 1217 amps, might just go with a Project Ember (or the new Solstice), and spend the rest on phones. Really digging the Campfire Cascades.

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 10
Currently I'm using the RCA outputs on a Sony CDP-307 ESD for CD's, SACD player is a Sony 5-disc SACD player (forgot the model #).
The CDP-307 actually sounds better playing standard cd's than the SACD player. so that's why I use 2 separate players.
Since i'm very happy with the Garage 1217 amps, might just go with a Project Ember (or the new Solstice), and spend the rest on phones. Really digging the Campfire Cascades.
Thanks for the tips!
Check out the Fostex TR-X00 on Massdrop, plug them straight in the Starlight amp (for now).
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-tr-x00-ebony-headphones
Never listened to them myself, but I'm assuming you will really like their sound.
Leaves a lot leftover in your budget for a headphone amplifier,

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 10
Check out the Fostex TR-X00 on Massdrop, plug them straight in the Starlight amp (for now).
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-tr-x00-ebony-headphones
Never listened to them myself, but I'm assuming you will really like their sound.
Leaves a lot leftover in your budget for a headphone amplifier,

Those are sharp! Really nice specs and great reviews too.
Cool, Thanks! That definitely gives me another option to look at.

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 10
La Figaro 339+HD6xx

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 10
Really digging the Campfire Cascades.

'theyre not great for rock music IMO

Heres my review of them,forgive me,I was not feeling well the day I filmed it.

Sep 24, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 10
'theyre not great for rock music IMO

Heres my review of them,forgive me,I was not feeling well the day I filmed it.

Thanks for the suggestion and tip. I always enjoy an honest / unbiased review.

Sep 24, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm currently in a similar situation. Looking to get a good yet compact setup for my work office.

For headphones, I'm going with the HD580. My reasoning for open headphones is that I do need some office awareness so I can't be totally removed with closed headphones. In a similar vein, the HD58X might be worth looking into, as they are a steal for the price.

In terms of amp/DAC combos, I've shortlisted the following:
  • RME ADI-2 DAC (out of your price range but good performance, features and form factor)
  • Audio-gd R2R 11 (good price/performance)
  • Metrum Amethyst (NOS DAC section)
  • Schiit Lyr 3 w/ Multibit DAC module (pretty)
Minus the ADI-2, the other selections paired with the HD58X should keep you around your budget. Good luck and looking forward to hearing about what you will eventually choose.

Edit: understand OP is looking for just an AMP, however I stand by my off-topic comment :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back