recommend me a good USB DAC!
Apr 24, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a low post-count is not an excuse for providing inadequate information to produce useful responses, anymore than high post-counts are necessarily indicative of knowledge.

well, there certainly doesn't seem to be a lack of useful responses. also, the funds available for the DAC are 100-250USD, if that's the way you'd rather have me put it.

as for why i was disappointed with the two cards i mentioned, i can only say that they just didn't work the way i wanted them to. i sometimes got distortion, clicks, humming, random restarts - all of which disappeared after i took the cards out. i tried everything. different PCI ports, newer drivers, reformatting, trying different bios settings, all to no avail. it's obviously my computer that is at fault, but i simply thought that i would try a USB DAC instead of spending a lifetime on troubleshooting different components. meanwhile, the onboard soundcard will do.

anyway, thanks everyone for all the tips so far, i'll check them out. if anyone can think of any others that haven't yet been mentioned, then share!

EDIT: i'll be linking the DAC to a Denon PMA-1500AE stereo amplifier. my main aim is to achieve a bit-perfect connection from my PC.

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #18 of 18
I have the Silverstone EB01 DAC from newegg.com for about $92 shipped. One of the cheapest DACs i've seen, but its built very solid and gives surprising clarity for a budget price. I highly recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back