Recommend me a good set of over ear closed headphones for metal and rock music. Budget 600$. Upgrading from Denon 2000
Dec 18, 2014 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

emperorarghoslen

Head-Fier
Hi I want to upgrade from my Denon ADH-2000 mainly because it fell down after my cat tipped it off its stand and it broke. They were pretty much my best headphone I have owned so far but now I want to upgrade for around 600 CAD$

I can't stand the Grados as their structure and construction design gives me a headache and sore ears after wearing them for more then 45 min. Their sound signature on the other hand is pretty much superb. I also want to avoid them like the plague as they are open ear headphones which would allow the music to pass to the surroundings. I'm connecting them directly to my computer speakers and playing either FLAC or 320KBPS tracks. Nothing I own is less than 256KBPS.

So recommend me something within my budget.

I've heard the SHURE 1540's before and I liked them but that was a while ago and I don't remember what it was exactly like, although I did like it.

I may buy a DAC at some point so that's something to keep in mind

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 10
The Shure SRH1540's are great. They might my second favorite closed headphones I'm ever heard soundwise, with the Fostex TH900 being the only closed can I've heard that I liked more. But the SRH1540's are super comfortable, and have a smooth relaxing sound signature. Very good headphones for hours on end. They are also very efficiently powered!

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 10
  The TH900 is double what I can actually afford so that is out unfortunately. What are the Beyerdynamic DT880 or 990 or the T90's or something by AKG?

I thought you wanted closed headphones? Yes I know the TH900 is out of your price range, just thought I'd mention it because the SRH1540's I find almost just as enjoyable.

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 10
Take a look at some of the Mr. Speaker's offerings - Mad Dog and Alpha Dog variations. They should fit into your price range and I believe they're the best closed headphones next to the higher end Fostex offerings. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 10
Beyerdynamic DT660 & DT770 are closed and are supposed to be very comfortable and with good sound. In fact I'm trying to choose a pair of closed headphones. Also considering AKG K272. All that I mentioned have plush earpads which is a requirement for me. I hate pleather! Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back