Recommend me a gaming headset/headphone
Mar 21, 2014 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Merlinside

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

I need an advice for picking the right headset. I have a PC with a medium quality soundcard (i don't want to spend on it), and i also have a PS4. On ps4 i play fps, on pc mobas, but i like to watch films, and listen music. So basically i need an universal headset that i can use with ps4, pc, mostly good at fps, but also enjoyable with movies. I have used Steelseries siberia v2 for a short time, it wasn't good for fps game, because of the virtual surround. It is ok that i hear where are the enemies come from left or right but not the exact position like front left, or left side behind me. I bought a roccat kave 5.1 ,3 years ago, it was good for fps, movies, but it was too heavy and i couldn't use it with PS4.

I can't decide that i would just go for : - simple headphone for better quality with table microphone, but then i couldn't use microphone for ps4 (not a big issue, usually playing alone)
                                                       - usb virtual 5.1 what fits ps4, and pc too, but i can't use the sound card of my comp.
                                                       - a simple stereo when again, i can't use microphone on ps4
                                                       - the real 5.1 market is so poor, the next level from roccat kave would be tiamat 7.1 which is out of  budget. and also couldn't use with ps4
                                                       - or  buy a cheaper headset/headphone with some remote control like mixamp. 

Max budget : 250$

I went to a headphone shop, and listened almost all the high end stuff, doesn't make that much sense from above 200 $, on iphone.
I found an Audio-technica ath-m50 good, but thats only a dj monitoring headphone, doesn't have mic, and i don't know how it would sounds for games.

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 10
  I need an advice for picking the right headset. I have a PC with a medium quality sound card (i don't want to spend on it), and i also have a PS4. On ps4 i play fps, on pc mobas, but i like to watch films, and listen music. So basically i need an universal headset that i can use with ps4, pc, mostly good at fps, but also enjoyable with movies. I have used Steelseries siberia v2 for a short time, it wasn't good for fps game, because of the virtual surround. It is ok that i hear where are the enemies come from left or right but not the exact position like front left, or left side behind me. I bought a roccat kave 5.1 ,3 years ago, it was good for fps, movies, but it was too heavy and i couldn't use it with PS4.
I can't decide that i would just go for
: - simple headphone for better quality with table microphone, but then i couldn't use microphone for ps4 (not a big issue, usually playing alone)
   - usb virtual 5.1 what fits ps4, and pc too, but i can't use the sound card of my comp.
    - a simple stereo when again, i can't use microphone on ps4
      the real 5.1 market is so poor, the next level from roccat kave would be tiamat 7.1 which is out of  budget. and also couldn't use with ps4
   or  buy a cheaper headset/headphone with some remote control like mix-amp. 

Max budget : 250$
I went to a headphone shop, and listened almost all the high end stuff, doesn't make that much sense from above 200 $, on iPhone.
I found an Audio-Technica ath-m50 good, but thats only a dj monitoring headphone, doesn't have mic, and i don't know how it would sounds for games.

Get the Astro Mix-amp for use with the gaming console (PS4).

Sennheiser HD558 headphones (Amazon has used ones on sale $90).
Plug the HD558 straight into the PC.
You can get any add-on mic you like.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 10
What about 

- Sennheiser pc 360 (no mic for ps4, but i can live with it) 250$
 - Sennheiser pc 323D (can't use pc soundcard, but mic with microphone) 175$
 - Audiotechnica ath-m50 with clip mic. (no mic for ps4, but good quality) 185 $ 

As you can see the prices in this country are mad. And 90% countries can't ship here, including USA. And i don't want to buy a used one.

Also do you know what happens if i plug 3.5 to ps4 controller? Does it sound good enough, i mean it probably not sounds like a soundcard, it is only a joystick ?

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #4 of 10
  What about 

- Sennheiser pc 360 (no mic for ps4, but i can live with it) 250$
 - Sennheiser pc 323D (can't use pc sound card, but mic with microphone) 175$
 - Audiotechnica ath-m50 with clip mic. (no mic for ps4, but good quality) 185 $ 

As you can see the prices in this country are mad. And 90% countries can't ship here, including USA. And i don't want to buy a used one.

Also do you know what happens if i plug 3.5 to ps4 controller? Does it sound good enough, i mean it probably not sounds like a sound card, it is only a joystick ?

The PC360 is just like a HD558, but with an integrated mic.
The ATH-M50s are not considered the best choice for surround sound.

I'm not really knowledgeable about the PS4 enough to know the answer.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 10
  The HD558 has some surround technology ? or what could make it different from simple stereo like ath-m50. 
What if i don't play fps anymore then which is the best choice?

A lot of the "gaming" headphones are just fancy looking stereo headphones, with a mic added.
The Sennheiser HD518, HD558, HD598, PC360, PC363D all appear to use the same 50-Ohm driver.

A lot of "gaming" headphones come with USB sound cards, that do the surround sound processing before sending the virtual headphone surround sound to the stereo headphones.
Creative Labs and Asus sell USB sound cards for $40.
You only have two ears, so it only takes two diaphragms (one in each cup) to make your ears think they are hearing surround sound.

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #8 of 10

A lot of the "gaming" headphones are just fancy looking stereo headphones, with a mic added.
The Sennheiser HD518, HD558, HD598, PC360, PC363D all appear to use the same 50-Ohm driver.

A lot of "gaming" headphones come with USB sound cards, that do the surround sound processing before sending the virtual headphone surround sound to the stereo headphones.
Creative Labs and Asus sell USB sound cards for $40.
You only have two ears, so it only takes two diaphragms (one in each cup) to make your ears think they are hearing surround sound.

So technically you saying, that every stereo headset can be virtual surrounded with one of those usb sound cards? That is a very useful advice if it is. 
In my situation after this knowledge, i think im better to buy something that alredy has its own sound card via usb or they give an extra usb soundcard.

Although then, if the difference only the visual things + the microphone, i dont get it why the pc360 that superior in price. In fact i think the pc360 needs a sound card a mixamp or something to give me surround on ps4.

So a plenty of headsets come in game the USB surround ones. I do a fast research, but i would like if you could give me some tips. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 10
  So technically you saying, that every stereo headset can be virtual surrounded with one of those USB sound cards? That is a very useful advice if it is. 
In my situation after this knowledge, i think I'm better to buy something that already has its own sound card via USB or they give an extra USB sound card.

Although then, if the difference only the visual things + the microphone, I don't get it why the PC360 that superior in price. In fact i think the PC360 needs a sound card a mix-amp or something to give me surround on ps4.

So a plenty of headsets come in game the USB surround ones. I do a fast research, but i would like if you could give me some tips. 

Yes, any stereo headphone can provide headphone surround sound, using a USB sound card or internal sound card, some modern motherboard's on-board audio provides headphone surround sound.
Some headphone are more accurate then others for headphone surround sound.
The HD558 will sell new for as high as $180, so the PC360 is not that big of a markup.

Astro Mix-amps are best for gaming consoles, sound card are best for PCs
The Asus Xonar DG sound card ($20-$30) is a great low cost sound card for the PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back