Recommend me a decent dac!
Feb 8, 2012 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

villageidiot

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm relatively new to the whole 'audiophile' thing and need some recommendations on a new dac - budget is at around $200~$350 (I'm willing to stretch it a bit if it's worthwhile).

My audio gear consists of a dt990/600 ohm, fiio e9 and creative x fi titanium (non-hd); it is a pretty 'bright' sounding headphone but it's nothing unbearable (enjoying it considerably) but I would love something that would tame the highs a bit (I really wouldn't mind getting a slightly warmish DAC); also, the mids are a bit recessed and I would love something that would flesh it out a bit.

So yeah, what I'm basically looking for is:

- A slightly warm DAC although I'll be pretty content with a neutral DAC since I don't really find the phones that bright
- Good value for money
- I'm not sure if optical inputs are in every DAC nowadays but it's a must for me; USB input isn't really needed although something future-proof would be nice.
-A DAC that portrays the mids well.

That's all I guess. I'm sure you guys get a lot of these kind of threads and would be grateful if you guys helped me out with this (since it's driving me nuts).

Kind regards,

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 9
Bump!

Please help me guys...I'm getting desperate here...and lonley
triportsad.gif

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Bump!

Please help me guys...I'm getting desperate here...and lonley
triportsad.gif

DACport LX from CEntrance. I really enjoy this DAC and it sounds better than the DACport due to it being a pure DAC. It has a large sound stage, very transparent and beautiful mid range. Its more on the neutral side of things.

Hope this helps you :).

http://www.centrance.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16163

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
DACport LX from CEntrance. I really enjoy this DAC and it sounds better than the DACport due to it being a pure DAC. It has a large sound stage, very transparent and beautiful mid range. Its more on the neutral side of things.

Hope this helps you :).

http://www.centrance.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16163

That's an odd looking thing! Why did they decide to case it like that? Looks like a torchlight tbh
tongue.gif

I'll definitely take a look at it though, thanks for the recommendation.

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
That's an odd looking thing! Why did they decide to case it like that? Looks like a torchlight tbh
tongue.gif

I'll definitely take a look at it though, thanks for the recommendation.

Well its meant to be portable. It also has a class A amp inside so it heats up and that aluminum body helps it to dissipate heat. Is also has 24/96 playback so you can listen to high quality Flac at bit for bit.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 9
musical fidelity vdac 2!!

i recently got it and it is much loved! and it fits your budget @ 350$

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 9
Schiit Bifrost

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 9
Neutral, $150, better than anything under $300:

www.headfonia.com/the-hrt-music-streamer-ii-asynchronous-2496-for-149-95/

They also have a $350 one with yet better sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back