Recommend me a DAC
Mar 14, 2022 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bibbs

100+ Head-Fier
i was looking for a "streamer" of sorts its a minefield and nothing was hitting the spot.

at the moment i have an Asgard 3 and using a Fiio x3 II as source via line out. while it fits me needs it does sound a bit excitable up top and i think is the main cause of my sibilance issues. i have to dial back 8k on the graphic to tame things but that then dulls the sound a bit. apart from that the Fiio X3 II sounds ok to my ears. i use various Beyerdynamic headphones which are know to be a bit hot up top as it is and i would like things a bit smoother but no sacrifice of detail.

i would have liked a piece of Schiit (Bifrost) on top of the Schiit amp to make a pile of Schiit but due to me being in the UK with a 6-8wk waiting list is a no go (unless someone in the UK has one for sale).

i will be using the Fiio x3 II as local file. i dont do streaming or any other crap like that but if the DAC has a headless interface then even better.

i'm not looking for mega so called audiofool sound. i just want the top end "edge" taken away from the sound i already have.

nothing above £500 ish

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 18
Something from denon, marantz, blue node or ifi.

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #3 of 18
I've had almost all the Beyerdynamics and the DACs I thought sounded best was the AK4490 (original) JDS Atom or the Modi 3+ Haven't tried the Modi Multibit but are someone here has, if it's worth the cost. There's inline filters like at diyaudioheaven, or the Kameleon. I've tried adding a ply or two of toilet paper over the driver, it works, but like a comb filter and reflects the treble not absorbs it. If equalizing made it sound full, it might be lowering it with too low a quality setting. A higher Q will narrow it to just the peak.
I know the feeling though, was testing a DT990 600ohm and when a game sound effect went off at the treble spike those have, I literally jumped out of the chair ):

Mar 15, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 18
Hello,
Since the Fiio X3 has a Cirrus Logic chip, I understand your concern.
Unfortunately, the chip has a little too much height energy.
If you want to keep the rest like heat ect, you are well served with a Dac on Akm basis.
There are certainly a few, like the Topping E30, I think Aune also has something.
Unfortunately, the Akm factory burnt down and rebuilding it takes longer than expected.
You might be able to find one on the second-hand market.
Otherwise there are a lot of ESS chip based Dac's where I would also pay a bit of attention because they also like to sound a bit sharp in the upper end.

Is it possible to expand the Asgard with a circuit board?
I think it's possible, that would also be an alternative.

Personally, I would wait for the streamer.
It sounds good and all, but there is still a bit of room for improvement in terms of operation, handling, etc....
If you still have Roon, you could also use the integrated EQ to lower the treble a bit.

Mar 20, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 18
pretty much thinking smsl Sanskrit 10th mk2. it has to be better than the fiio x3 line out. will still use the x3 as local file. if i dont like the Sanskrit i can always send it back. i was also considering the CA DacMagic 100 but dont know how it would like OTG as its dacmagic is getting on a bit.

i have been looking at the zen dac v2 but i feel that at the price its ramming too much into one box so something has to give. i could be wrong though.

Mar 20, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 18
Was thinking of a Modi 3+, ordered it, very quickly bothered by the fact that instead of a definitive timeframe the Schiit site said "rolling backorder." Ordered a Modius, love it, not a second thought about the price being $199 instead of $99. Maybe someday I'll go balanced and take advantage of it. As it is, it's still a better DAC than the Modi 3+, and I'm sure for me it'll be a better choice than the Modi 3e. YMMV, but I'm very pleased with the musical reproduction of the Schiit Modius. I like the way they tune their gear, though, so if you're looking for something colder and more clinical, Chi-fi may be the way to go. I see you bought a Topping. If it doesn't work, the Modius may be a good direction to turn.

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #8 of 18
i'm in the UK and cant buy schiit gear. besides schiits attitude to manufacture is ermm well a pile of poo. if they cant keep up then get bigger premises and more staff.

i have a few bits of Schiit and they are all good but the attitude toward EU distribution is poo so chi-fi it is. the E30 was in stock and only £80 next day delivery. beat that schiit...

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 18
Topping E30 arrived. plugged it all up thinking that OTG would work.. ermm no. so plugged it up with coax and via the out of my X3 II as file server and HOLY COW.. if this is a cheap DAC then What does a good one sound like. i think the USB in on the E30 is designed for PC use only.

sibilance is all but gone and i'm blaming the recordings for that e.g. Florence + The Machine - Lungs (my sibilance test), there is still a little "plastic tweet" sound but FM the difference is night and day compared to the X3 II line out straight into the Asgard 3.

Fiio X3 II coax output (EQ off)- Topping E30 coax input - Schiit Asgard 3 - Beyerdynamic DT-900 ProX = happy bunny

had a quick mess with the filters and tbh there is not that much difference but F2 sound the best to me as its more open sounding. the unit is set to DAC mode but i might play with the pre mode later as it would be handy to turn the volume up/down while lying in bed.

here in the UK we have USB and combined plug wall plates https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/2213u/2-gang-switched-socket-with-usb/dp/PL14985?st=usb plates and the E30 is powered from one of the USB outputs of that with the supplied cable.

so £80 has got rid of my annoying sibilance issues and given me a much more enjoyable listening experience..... its just a shame the OTG does not work.

can you tell that i 'm a vinyl guy due to the lack of digital gear ROFL.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 18
On Emm Labs's dac Dog Days Are Over sounds fantastic, transparent, dynamic, fairly holographic. You can hear her voice emanates from the soundstage (obviously artificially added in post). Instrument sounds fairly real. Bass is hard hitting. Overall no sibilance detected and no plastic sounding at all.

On You've Got the Love, the opening solo sounds eerily real like you can reach out and touch her in front of your face. When the bass start hitting, it hits hard and deep with good sub bass resonance. A lot of things going on on this track and it's a treat to be able to follow easily. Big, warm and great PRaT.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 18
£29k.... hahahahaaaaaaaa. suppose if you got it flaunt it :wink:

is that streaming, cd or rip? as i'm starting to think it might be the cd version i have (dont have it at hand to know version). its the same with my JB - Sloe Gin (I ROND CD 07-DD534 Russia). its only very few cd (rip to wav) that are a bit hot. the absolute worst cd i have for sibilance is John Miles - Stranger In The City but that also sounds the same on my vinyl rig.

Mar 23, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #12 of 18
Go all-in-one: RME ADI-2 DAC FS. The EQ feature is nice, and you already have the Asgard if you need more power, which I haven’t had a problem with yet.

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 18
£29k.... hahahahaaaaaaaa. suppose if you got it flaunt it :wink:

is that streaming, cd or rip? as i'm starting to think it might be the cd version i have (dont have it at hand to know version). its the same with my JB - Sloe Gin (I ROND CD 07-DD534 Russia). its only very few cd (rip to wav) that are a bit hot. the absolute worst cd i have for sibilance is John Miles - Stranger In The City but that also sounds the same on my vinyl rig.
Qobuz streaming 16/44. Just USB from a gaming PC, nothing fancy. I also got the low end Emm Labs 🤣

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back